George

Default Parkerizing

Does anyone have info on the Parkerizing coating process such as used
with firearms? Would it last better on tools than black oxide?

--George
Asp3211968

i just read it in a book i found. it is done with phosphoric acid, if nobody
come s up with the formula email me and i will look in the book.
Joe Gorman

George wrote:

Does anyone have info on the Parkerizing coating process such as used
with firearms? Would it last better on tools than black oxide?

--George

MAchinery's handbook has a section on Coloring metals, pages 2268-2272 in
the 22nd edition. My typing isn't up to putting it all in here, nor do I
have access to a scanner.
Joe

Randal O'Brian

Brownells sells everything you need to do it. www.brownells.com It is
more rust resistant than black oxide since the coating is porous and holds
oil better. Also, surface prep is not as important as with oxide as it will
cover shallow surface scratches. The color is variable and can be
gray-green, black or dark gray depending on the solution you use.

Randy

"George" wrote in message
Does anyone have info on the Parkerizing coating process such as used
with firearms? Would it last better on tools than black oxide?

--George

George

Thank you for the posts everyone. I have the Machinery Handbook -
just didn't think to look in it. I'll also check the web address
cited.

--George