Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj

Default Spend how much to get sent a McMaster catalog?

How much does one need to spend to get a McMaster catalog sent to
them? Would $1000 in a year do it? Color me curious.

Jay
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

Not sure about the amount, but I usually get one by walking to the store and
asking. You might just call them and ask to be added to their mailing list.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

I suspect, you already know, they have an Online Catalog.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
(and we save a tree).

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Not sure about the amount, but I usually get one by walking to the store
and asking. You might just call them and ask to be added to their mailing
list.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tomcas

Steve wrote:
I suspect, you already know, they have an Online Catalog.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
(and we save a tree).

Their online catalog gets my vote for the best web store ever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

jj wrote:

How much does one need to spend to get a McMaster catalog sent to
them? Would $1000 in a year do it? Color me curious.

We probably spend $1000/year and we get them
intermittently. Probably got 4 over the last
7 years.

I suspect they print as many as they can afford
and send them out starting with their biggest
customers and working their way down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

We probably spend $1000/year and we get them
intermittently. Probably got 4 over the last
7 years.

Yep, every two years! They are a customer and I asked them about catalogs
and they said just call or use the web to request one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Tom Gardner wrote:
....they said just call or use the web to request one.

Really!? The elusiveness of their catalogs is legendary. New ones go
on eBay for $40 - 50. Even old ones are auctioned. Why would anyone
pay $50 for one when they could "...just call or use the web to request
one"?

????
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:
...they said just call or use the web to request one.

Really!? The elusiveness of their catalogs is legendary. New ones go
on eBay for $40 - 50. Even old ones are auctioned. Why would anyone
pay $50 for one when they could "...just call or use the web to request
one"?

????
Bob

I had trouble getting my first one. After requesting a catalog about 3
times, and still not getting one, I told them I'd have to make do with a
Grainger catalog. I got 2 of McMaster's shortly after that, and they send 2
new ones periodically now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

$40-$50 on ebay? Dang. We've been throwing them away at work when we
get our new one.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xmradio

"mj" wrote in message
oups.com...
$40-$50 on ebay? Dang. We've been throwing them away at work when we
get our new one.
Mike

I just walked out the gate with mine, where I work...

I don't care.

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Really!? The elusiveness of their catalogs is legendary. New ones go
on eBay for $40 - 50. Even old ones are auctioned. Why would anyone
pay $50 for one when they could "...just call or use the web to request
one"?
????
Bob

There is a 1957 copy, edition 63 on ebay right now for $51 with 6
hours to go...yikes! Would be kinda cool to see though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-McMaster-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem

Jay
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

If you work for a big name company and give their real business address and
business phone number, I bet they'll send you one regardless of how much you
spend.

"jj" wrote in message
How much does one need to spend to get a McMaster catalog sent to
them? Would $1000 in a year do it? Color me curious.

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111

While McMaster's Website is the best in biz, bar none, it does pay to
have a printed
version. Bathroom is an ideal place for it - so you have good use
for those otherwise
dull minutes .

Learn a lot by simply flipping through pages. Got mine @ work.

MSCDirect's catalog is much easier to get and I think it is much
larger, just an FYI. Price-wise
they are about the same, have a number of warehouses - I get my stuff
from both McM and MSC
next day with UPS ground. MSC's website is much worse compared to McM's
- search and presentation
of search results is nearly not as good.

I also have Grainger store within 2miles from my home but they don't
sell to GP. Plenty dumb, IMO -
MSC and McM don't have that problem.

U-Build Machine & Power Tools Catalog Poorman Woodworking 5 October 4th 05 04:03 AM
Value of McMaster, MSC et al catalogs rashid111 Metalworking 3 July 10th 05 07:08 AM
#98 McMaster Carr Catalog Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 4 February 23rd 05 12:14 AM
Web Catalog Builder, Multimedia CD Catalog maker for business as well personal album [email protected] Woodturning 0 January 21st 05 06:45 PM
McMaster Catalog Gloat Peter T. Keillor III Metalworking 14 January 4th 05 08:22 PM