Gunner

Default Anyone need Hardinge 4C collets?

Ive located a quantity of Hardinge 4c collets. Probably about 200 or
so, various sizes.

Any interest in them singly or in sets?

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Ive located a quantity of Hardinge 4c collets. Probably about 200 or
so, various sizes.

Any interest in them singly or in sets?

Mike Graham had a machine that used them, I sent him
a bunch of my old ones a few years ago. If you could
pry him loose from the clutches of miss what-s-er-name
he might still want them.

Jim

please reply to:

Jim Stewart

Gunner wrote:
Ive located a quantity of Hardinge 4c collets. Probably about 200 or
so, various sizes.

Any interest in them singly or in sets?

Gunner

I'd be interested in any hex or square.

I already have a full 64ths set of round ones
plus some extras. If you are missing some
round ones to make up a full set, let me know
and I'll send you a list of my extras.

Jim Schwitters

Gunner,
I'd be interested in the following sizes if you have them: 1/8, 1/4, 5/16,
7/16, 1/2, and 5/8. If those are not available, I could grind some smaller
ones out to desired size.
Regards,
Jim S.

Gunner wrote in message
Ive located a quantity of Hardinge 4c collets. Probably about 200 or
so, various sizes.

Any interest in them singly or in sets?

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Merle Wagner

Gunner,

My lathe uses the 4C. I will have to research what I don't have.. Any idea
what is available ???

Merle
"Gunner" wrote in message
Ive located a quantity of Hardinge 4c collets. Probably about 200 or
so, various sizes.

Any interest in them singly or in sets?

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Marty Escarcega

Anyone with a Hardinge Horizontal Mill with the Vertical Attachment would
be very interested in these.....

Marty

Gunner wrote in

:

Ive located a quantity of Hardinge 4c collets. Probably about 200 or
so, various sizes.

Any interest in them singly or in sets?

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

jim rozen

In article , Marty Escarcega says...

Anyone with a Hardinge Horizontal Mill with the Vertical Attachment would
be very interested in these.....

Ohh. Or the poster here who *just* scored a BB4 hardinge
horizontal mill! Those use 4C collets as well.

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner

On 1 Jan 2004 21:07:44 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Marty Escarcega says...

Anyone with a Hardinge Horizontal Mill with the Vertical Attachment would
be very interested in these.....

Ohh. Or the poster here who *just* scored a BB4 hardinge
horizontal mill! Those use 4C collets as well.

Jim

I stumbled across a couple 5 gallon buckets full of them, in a
grinding shop. They were used in some tiny little Japanese second ops
lathes (one of which Im trying to score) which arnt used any longer.
The customer indicated he had no use for them and would be interested
in selling them off. The collets were shiney and pretty new looking,
all Hardinge marked that I looked at..so Ill check with him the coming
week and see what he wants to do. Just wanted to see if there was any
interest before making him think too hard. I thought Id remembered
seeing something about 4c collets here....

Ill follow up on this

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
Ted Edwards

What is the difference between 4C and 5C? Just length?

Ted

Marty Escarcega

jim rozen wrote in
:

In article , Marty
Escarcega says...

Anyone with a Hardinge Horizontal Mill with the Vertical Attachment
would be very interested in these.....

Ohh. Or the poster here who *just* scored a BB4 hardinge
horizontal mill! Those use 4C collets as well.

Jim

please reply to:

Jim, you SUCK! :-)
Marty

Merle Wagner

Ted,

Check out this site for collet sizes.

Merle

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
What is the difference between 4C and 5C? Just length?

Ted

Gunner

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:47:27 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

What is the difference between 4C and 5C? Just length?

Ted

Diameter and length both. They look identical until see them
together..the 4c is scaled down about 2/3rds or so.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

wrote:

What is the difference between 4C and 5C? Just length?

Ted

Diameter and length both. They look identical until see them
together..the 4c is scaled down about 2/3rds or so.

The cataract "C" designation basically shows the *largest*
item that can possibly be held in the collet, in eights
of an inch.

So the largest collet one ever sees in 5C, is 1.125 inch,
even though the part won't pass all the way though.

Jim

please reply to:

brownnsharp

I would like to have a 4-C dead center. I would also like a known near
perfect 1/2 or 5/8 collet. The collets I have are accurate near the
headstock but long rods wave around in the breeze when checked 6
inches from the collet. I have an old S.A. Potter lathe that uses 4C.
I have checked the spindle, and it is amazingly close, considering the
age of the machine. However, old collets (all of mine) are
treacherous. A known good 1/2 or 5/8 collet would be useful in holding
tooling.

Brownnsharp
James Waldby

jim rozen wrote:
Gunner says...
... Ted Edwards ... wrote:

What is the difference between 4C and 5C? Just length?

Diameter and length both. They look identical until see them
together..the 4c is scaled down about 2/3rds or so.

The cataract "C" designation basically shows the *largest*
item that can possibly be held in the collet, in eights
of an inch.

So the largest collet one ever sees in 5C, is 1.125 inch,
even though the part won't pass all the way though.

I guess an "eight of an inch" must be about 0.225", then,
if 5 of them add up to 1.125".

Ted Edwards

jim rozen wrote:

The cataract "C" designation basically shows the *largest*

^^^^^^^^???? ;-)
item that can possibly be held in the collet, in eights
of an inch.

So the largest collet one ever sees in 5C, is 1.125 inch,
even though the part won't pass all the way though.

If 5 in 5C is the number of eights, how do you get 5/8 = 1.125?

Ted

jim rozen

In article , Ted Edwards says...

If 5 in 5C is the number of eights,

Doh. Quarters of an inch, obviously.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , James Waldby says...

I guess an "eight of an inch" must be about 0.225",

LOL. One goof and then forevermore I'll be known
as the 225, eighth guy.

Of course it is quarters. You never see a 1.25 diameter
5C collet, but I understand that's what the designation
means - that more or less, the collet is good up to
that size.

Jim

please reply to:

Bray Haven

I must have missed the start of this thread. I could use some 4C's. Did
someone have a source here??
Greg Sefton
Ted Edwards

Gunner wrote:

What is the difference between 4C and 5C? Just length?

Diameter and length both. They look identical until see them
together..the 4c is scaled down about 2/3rds or so.

I have a few Hardinge collets that appear to be the same diameter as 5C
but a little shorter. I use them in my spin index because I modified to
be able to lock the tightener in two positions. Can you tel me what
those are?

Ted