Mike Hanz

Default Hardinge Live Center disassembly

Has anyone ever had one of the Hardinge live centers apart? It looks
like I'll need to machine an aluminum or brass sleeve to press the
nose cap off from the MT2 body end, but I thought I'd check the wisdom
of the list before launching into the operation. It may be that they
used internal truarc rings (shudder) that snap into internal grooves,
but I'm hoping that it is simpler than that.

(Before someone asks, the bearings are toast, and I'm not worried
about tenth tolerances in my particular application for the center. I
understand Hardinge says they are not designed to be repaired, but if
it was put together, it seems logical that it would come apart, even
if it means making a new nose cap. It's certainly better than
throwing it in the trash....)

Happy holidays,
Mike
Jim Schwitters

Mike,
I recently had my light duty center apart because I thought the bearings
were bad. Turns out they were just dirty and it now works fine.

The anodized aluminum shield simply pressed off mine. No snap rings. There
was very little room to grab the shield so I bored a snug fitting hole in a
block of wood and pressed it off. Mine was not tight at all - possibly
because someone had been in there before. Beneath the shield is a nut that
hold the bearing assy into the body - requires a pin spanner wrench. A pair
of precision matched radial contact bearings are retained on the center by
another little nut. I did not pay attention to the size of the bearings to
see if replacements could be easily obtained.
Good luck,
Jim S.

"Mike Hanz" wrote in message
Has anyone ever had one of the Hardinge live centers apart? It looks
like I'll need to machine an aluminum or brass sleeve to press the
nose cap off from the MT2 body end, but I thought I'd check the wisdom
of the list before launching into the operation. It may be that they
used internal truarc rings (shudder) that snap into internal grooves,
but I'm hoping that it is simpler than that.

(Before someone asks, the bearings are toast, and I'm not worried
about tenth tolerances in my particular application for the center. I
understand Hardinge says they are not designed to be repaired, but if
it was put together, it seems logical that it would come apart, even
if it means making a new nose cap. It's certainly better than
throwing it in the trash....)

Happy holidays,
Mike

Mike Hanz

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:28:41 GMT, "Jim Schwitters"
wrote:

I recently had my light duty center apart because I thought the bearings
were bad. Turns out they were just dirty and it now works fine.

The anodized aluminum shield simply pressed off mine.

Jim, many thanks for replying. That's the news I was hoping for!
Will give it a try with some hard oak I've been saving for some
unknown purpose.

- Mike

live dish washer Geoff UK diy 10 June 4th 04 08:55 AM
should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver? dave L UK diy 22 November 20th 03 12:43 PM
Parts List for Hardinge TL5C/T10 Jim Schwitters Metalworking 1 September 13th 03 02:10 AM
F&G Concept 2000 Consumer Unit Live Busbar Query Andy Taylor UK diy 1 September 3rd 03 01:52 PM