Mike Hanz

Default Hardinge Live Center disassembly

Has anyone ever had one of the Hardinge live centers apart? It looks
like I'll need to machine an aluminum or brass sleeve to press the
nose cap off from the MT2 body end, but I thought I'd check the wisdom
of the list before launching into the operation. It may be that they
used internal truarc rings (shudder) that snap into internal grooves,
but I'm hoping that it is simpler than that.

(Before someone asks, the bearings are toast, and I'm not worried
about tenth tolerances in my particular application for the center. I
understand Hardinge says they are not designed to be repaired, but if
it was put together, it seems logical that it would come apart, even
if it means making a new nose cap. It's certainly better than
throwing it in the trash....)

Happy holidays,
Mike