Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ted Walker / Strategic Industries

Default how to remove brass part from steel tank?

I need to remove a brass manifold from a steel air tank. Have been unable
to budge it using Kroil and heat. Looked in archives but didn't find an
answer. Please help!

--
Ted Walker
" Jack of all trades, master of none" - but still working on it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

I bet its knurled and/or soldered in place. More heat, more force.
If its threaded, you'll still need more heat and force!

"Ted Walker / Strategic Industries" wrote in message
m...
| I need to remove a brass manifold from a steel air tank. Have been unable
| to budge it using Kroil and heat. Looked in archives but didn't find an
| answer. Please help!
|
| --
| Ted Walker
| " Jack of all trades, master of none" - but still working on it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
WILLIAM HENRY

if it is a pipe thread , have you tried tightening it a little before
attempting to loosen?

old pipe fitters trick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

I don't know if it will help, but ammonia refrigeration systems use steel
and brass is specifically not permitted due to severe corrosion. Ammonia
might dissolve the brass enough to loosen it.
Don Young
"Ted Walker / Strategic Industries" wrote in message
m...
I need to remove a brass manifold from a steel air tank. Have been unable
to budge it using Kroil and heat. Looked in archives but didn't find an
answer. Please help!

--
Ted Walker
" Jack of all trades, master of none" - but still working on it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Don Young" wrote in message
I don't know if it will help, but ammonia
refrigeration systems use steel and brass is
specifically not permitted due to severe
corrosion. Ammonia might dissolve the brass
enough to loosen it.
Don Young

Good Idea, but it won't float. The ammonia will
dissolve the zinc out of the brass and just leave
a brittle mess. Any pressure will break it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"Don Young" wrote in message
I don't know if it will help, but ammonia refrigeration systems use steel
and brass is specifically not permitted due to severe corrosion. Ammonia
might dissolve the brass enough to loosen it.
Don Young

Good Idea, but it won't float. The ammonia will dissolve the zinc out of
the brass and just leave a brittle mess. Any pressure will break it.

From the description and header I assumed that was the idea, to get rid of
the brass part.
Don Young