Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Default Soldering stainless?

I need to solder a very thin copper wire to a very thin stainless disk.
Obviously regular rosin core electrical solder is not going to do it. Any
suggestions without spending $25 for special flux just to apply .01
micrograms of solder?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

HUH?

Any reasonable flux and good solder should have NO problems soldering to SS.

As a test I just took some SS I have (it's SS from hell, the old front of a
dishwasher and harder than you'd believe) sanded it clean put a dab of
Harris Stay-Clean flux on it and had no problems what so ever getitng a nice
even flow of some Kester '44' (that's 63% SN Solder) with my good-ole Weller
260Watt
The Harris Stay Clean (part number 40027) cost about 2 bucks for a 4 OZ
plastic bottle is is just a super all around flux for soldering. It's
intended for copper/brass but works wonders everywhere.

--.- Dave

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
newsvDuf.1561$Dh.290@dukeread04...
I need to solder a very thin copper wire to a very thin stainless disk.
Obviously regular rosin core electrical solder is not going to do it. Any
suggestions without spending $25 for special flux just to apply .01
micrograms of solder?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:11:11 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

I need to solder a very thin copper wire to a very thin stainless disk.
Obviously regular rosin core electrical solder is not going to do it. Any
suggestions without spending $25 for special flux just to apply .01
micrograms of solder?

Try a tin-silver solder and ordinary soldering fluid for flux.

Email me your snailmail addy, and I'll send you a few inches of
Harris Staybrite in an envelope. Staybrite melts at 430F, wets
stainless (and copper) like tin-lead wets copper or brass, An
ordinary soldering iron works fine.

I think Dan Caster once said that it doesn't work on some stainless
alloys, but it's worked well on the alloys I've soldered with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Any
suggestions without spending $25 for special flux just to apply .01
micrograms of solder?

Your solder should be fine, so long as you use the right flux. As a
quick zero-cost hack, try using phosphoric acid as a flux. You probably
have some around already for rust treatment. If it's clear or pink it's
fine, but don't use it if it's opaque white - that's a better rust
treatment (it has tannates in it too) but it's not a useful flux.

I've seen old "killed spirits" (Baker's Fluid / zinc in hydrochloric
acid) flux used successfully as a flux for some grades of stainless, but
neutralise it well afterwards (wash and rinse with bicarbonate of soda)
as it's corrosive on thin copper wires.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

If all else fails you might want to 'flash' copper over a stripe and then
solder to it.

I have Kester 5% silver, tin-lead solder if needed.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I need to solder a very thin copper wire to a very thin stainless disk.
Obviously regular rosin core electrical solder is not going to do it. Any
suggestions without spending $25 for special flux just to apply .01
micrograms of solder?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Abrading the stainless under an oxide cover of oil can get it clean
enough to solder. You see, the problem with stainless is it contains
chromium. And nickel, I think. The chromium oxides are really tough to
dissolve, but if you remove them mechanically and don't allow air to
contact the cleaned surface, the bare metal will take solder.

I haven't tried this on stainless or aluminum. It was recommeded here
for aluminum, which is worse than stainless to solder.

Try an automotive AA cell powered paint chip grinder or a Dremel with a
rubber abrasive (Cratex etc) tip.

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Falls Church, VA 22044-0394