Glenn Cramond

Default Soft soldering stainless steel

I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Thanks.
Glenn
ww.metalbashatorium.com
Randy Replogle

Glenn Cramond wrote:
I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Thanks.
Glenn
ww.metalbashatorium.com

I've had some luck with an acid type flux.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

jim rozen

In article , Glenn Cramond
says...

I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Stainless steel flux and you need to spread the heat around.
The stainless has a very low thermal conductivity so you
can't just put the iron in one spot and expect to flow
the entire joint.

Jim

please reply to:

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Glenn
Cramond wrote:

I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Thanks.
Glenn
ww.metalbashatorium.com

Zinc Chloride liquid flux works quite well for me.
I use pure tin solder.
mike

"Glenn Cramond" wrote in message
om...
I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Ortho-phosphoric acid (undiluted) always worked well for me when making low
temperature research kit with very thin-wall ss tubes - usually soldered to
ss, brass or copper.

I think I found it in this book - I used to refer to it a lot, but I seem to
have mislaid the book now so I can't check.

WJ Tegart, "The Electrolytic and Chemical Polishing of Metals in
Research and Industry" (Pergamon Press, Inc., London, 1959)

Mike

jim rozen

In article , Ernie Leimkuhler says...

Zinc Chloride liquid flux works quite well for me.

Is that the Dunton's stainless flux? I use that
myself, but I think it is mostly muriatic acid.

I use pure tin solder.

The Dunton's works for lead-tin, silver-tin as well.

Jim

please reply to:

Daniel A. Mitchell

"Stay-Brite" and similar silver-bearing soft solders and common zinc
chloride fluxes will usually work reasonably well. The silver content
improves 'wetting' and adds strength. Hard soldering is often better
with S.S., but soft soldering is possible.

Dan Mitchell
==========

Randy Replogle wrote:

Glenn Cramond wrote:
I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Thanks.
Glenn
ww.metalbashatorium.com

I've had some luck with an acid type flux.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

In article ,
Glenn Cramond wrote:

I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

a decade and a half ago i used to solder a lot of stainless tube
for cryogenic use, for pressures ranging from vacuum thru 34 bar

silver braze is better if the specs allow

acid flux will eventually eat holes

clean with hot water very well

Glenn Cramond

"Les" dootyfree(at)hotmail.com wrote in message ...
Try http://web.onetel.net.uk/~valdor123/..._304l_stai.htm

Thanks to all, thanks very much for the help.

Good site Les thanks for the link.

Glenn
www.metalbashatorium.com