Junior Member

Default Armstrong QC Toolposts

Does anyone know if Armstrong QC toolposts/holders are compatible with the Aloris style dovetail? Armstrong doesn't show them on their website. Can't find any reference to them on Google either.

Thanks,

Joe P
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

Don't think they make them. I've never seen any nor have I seen them
advertised new or used.
Steve

--
Joepy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Brent Philion :
Joepy wrote:

[ ... Armstrong QC toolposts ... ]

Thanks Ned (and Steve). I'm still curious as to who sells the darn
things. I sure couldn't find any info whatsoever on the Web.

kbc tools for one

www.kbctool.com

Also -- MSC http://www.mscdirect.com

At least I remember seeing them in the catalog last time I was looking
through for toolposts and holders.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
peterh5322

On 2005-12-31 17:04:25 -0800, Joepy said:

Does anyone know if Armstrong QC toolposts/holders are compatible with
the Aloris style dovetail?

Armstrong QCTPs are clones of like-sized Aloris QCTPs, just as Dorian
QCTPs are.

An Armstrong holder will fit an Aloris post, and an Aloris holder will
fit on an Armstrong post.

Just about everyone has adopted the Aloris dimensions.

This, for conventional, nonindexable QCTPs.

For indexable QCTPs, there might not be complete interchangeability
even within one brand, although Aloris' indexable QCTP will accept two
conventional holders simultaneously, and four of the special I-type
holders simultaneously.

The dovetails are the same, for the same size post, but the ends are
chamfered 45 degrees on the special I-type holders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to peterh5322 :
On 2005-12-31 17:04:25 -0800, Joepy said:

Does anyone know if Armstrong QC toolposts/holders are compatible with
the Aloris style dovetail?

Armstrong QCTPs are clones of like-sized Aloris QCTPs, just as Dorian
QCTPs are.

Well ... not true *clones*. The dovetail dimensions are the
same, assuring interchangablity, but the locking mechanisms may be
different.

The Dorian (IIRC) has a plunger on the back dovetail surface
which acts to pull the front dovetail tighter.

The genuine Aloris (except for the piston style ones, which are
a *lot* less common) have an angled sliding part which increases the
width of the dovetail, accomplishing the same purpose.

The Phase-II are similar to the Aloris -- both the wedge style
(which I have) and the piston style (which I have avoided).

I don't know exactly *what* the Armstrong locking mechanism may
be, as I have not had a chance to examine one closely enough.

So -- call them *functional* clones, but not *true* clones.

An Armstrong holder will fit an Aloris post, and an Aloris holder will
fit on an Armstrong post.

Indeed so. Even the Phase-II ones, which use a different
nomenclature for the sizes (e.g. "Series 100", "Series 200" and the
like, instead of "AXA or "BXA".) I think that at least one other maker
(perhaps it is Dorian) uses the Phase-II nomenclature.

Just about everyone has adopted the Aloris dimensions.

The critical ones, at least. The mechanisms may differ. I
suspect that Phase-II got into the game after Aloris' patents on the
wedge style design had expired, while Dorian had to come up with
something else which worked as well.

This, for conventional, nonindexable QCTPs.

For indexable QCTPs, there might not be complete interchangeability
even within one brand, although Aloris' indexable QCTP will accept two
conventional holders simultaneously, and four of the special I-type
holders simultaneously.

The dovetails are the same, for the same size post, but the ends are
chamfered 45 degrees on the special I-type holders.

I might someday be interested in one of these, but for the
moment, I can't even quite swing affording a new Aloris wedge style
toolpost. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Haas

On 2006-01-01 12:41:55 -0800, Ned Simmons said:

I have both an Armstrong piston and an Aloris wedge post and a mix of
Armstrong and Aloris holders. Everything swaps around with no problems.

AXA (wedge) = AX (piston) = 100 = same dovetail

BXA (wedge) = BX (piston) = 200 = same dovetail

Etcetera.

Aloris went to great lengths to ensure compatibility within a series of
post, but not across a series.

BX posts are slightly wider than AX posts.

Now, KDK makes all their posts the same width dovetail, excepting the
discontinued 00 size.

But, KDK posts, holders, kits and repair parts can take six months to
get delivery, and are proprietary, whereas Aloris-type holders are
universal, and if your dealer doesn't have on brand, you just go with
another.