Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

Default Piston Vise drawings or plans?

Having suddenly a need to machine some pistons,
I thought to make my own piston vise due to what seems
the ridiculous average asking price for them, commercially.
I'm somewhat surprised that there seems to be no
mention anywhere I've looked about plans for making them.

Anyone ever seen any plans, or know of any available?

Sure, it's not a huge deal to sit down and do some,
but after having just moved the shop, being behind on
schedule already, I thought to try and save myself some time.

Best,

Weyland

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

"Weyland" wrote in news:1135998612.320326.135150
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Having suddenly a need to machine some pistons,
I thought to make my own piston vise due to what seems
the ridiculous average asking price for them, commercially.
I'm somewhat surprised that there seems to be no
mention anywhere I've looked about plans for making them.

Anyone ever seen any plans, or know of any available?

Sure, it's not a huge deal to sit down and do some,
but after having just moved the shop, being behind on
schedule already, I thought to try and save myself some time.

What are you going to be machining on the piston? That will determine
what type of fixture you need.

Also...what type of pistons?

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

Hi Anthony,

Mostly, I'll be cutting valve pockets, or
clearancing existing ones more, as well as
sometimes decking domes to lower compression ratios.

For the most part, these are motorcycle
pistons, but I don't want to limit myself.

I've figured out how to make a rather simple type of
holder for cutting the domes and ring grooves on a lathe,
but still need something more quick than setting up
Vee blocks, clamps, and other devices for maintaining
anglular setups for the other ops I mentioned.

Best,

Weyland

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Weyland wrote:

Mostly, I'll be cutting valve pockets, or
clearancing existing ones more, as well as
sometimes decking domes to lower compression ratios.

But this isn't that complicated.
Get a plate, drill a hole in it. Get some threaded rod with an eye.
Through that eye goes the wrist pin (howsitcalled? the rod connecting
piston and push rod). Pull piston down to plate with the threaded rod
and a nut.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

"Weyland" wrote in news:1136019874.204606.55540
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi Anthony,

Mostly, I'll be cutting valve pockets, or
clearancing existing ones more, as well as
sometimes decking domes to lower compression ratios.

For the most part, these are motorcycle
pistons, but I don't want to limit myself.

I've figured out how to make a rather simple type of
holder for cutting the domes and ring grooves on a lathe,
but still need something more quick than setting up
Vee blocks, clamps, and other devices for maintaining
anglular setups for the other ops I mentioned.

Check your email.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Anthony" wrote in message
| "Weyland" wrote in news:1135998612.320326.135150
| @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
|
| Having suddenly a need to machine some pistons,
| I thought to make my own piston vise due to what seems
| the ridiculous average asking price for them, commercially.
| I'm somewhat surprised that there seems to be no
| mention anywhere I've looked about plans for making them.
|
| Anyone ever seen any plans, or know of any available?

Why not bolt a three jaw chuck to your workbench and call that your
piston vise?