Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul G. Shultz

Default R-8 milling cutter adapter

I just saw an R-8 adaptor go for $114.50 on e-bay. It was a lot more
than I was willing to pay for it though it did have a number of cutters
with it. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these. It was an
R-8 shank with a 1" dia. keyed shaft with threads and a nut on the end.
It is made to hold milling cutters with a 1" keyed hole. I have plenty
of milling cutters for my horizontal milling machine, but it would be
nice to have a shank like that for my vertical milling machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Paul G. Shultz wrote:

I just saw an R-8 adaptor go for $114.50 on e-bay. It was a lot more
than I was willing to pay for it though it did have a number of
cutters with it. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these. It
was an R-8 shank with a 1" dia. keyed shaft with threads and a nut on
the end. It is made to hold milling cutters with a 1" keyed hole. I
have plenty of milling cutters for my horizontal milling machine, but
it would be nice to have a shank like that for my vertical milling
machine.

MSC, Travers tool, Quad Cities, J&L, KBC all have these shell end mill
arbors.

They don't come cheap, but an import unit, possibly with one cutter
included,
will be no more than the $114. If it came with, say, 10 cutters that
were in good
shape, that would be an awfully good price.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Paul G. Shultz wrote:
I just saw an R-8 adaptor go for $114.50 on e-bay. It was a lot more
than I was willing to pay for it though it did have a number of cutters
with it. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these. It was an
R-8 shank with a 1" dia. keyed shaft with threads and a nut on the end.
It is made to hold milling cutters with a 1" keyed hole. I have plenty
of milling cutters for my horizontal milling machine, but it would be
nice to have a shank like that for my vertical milling machine.

Looks like you could make one with a R8 arbor.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Or if you are handy with a lathe, make one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

Paul,
On eBay, two sellers offer Chinese imports of good quality.
JTS Machinery and Supply Co. and 800watt. They offer them in 7/8", 1" and 1,
1/4". They come with key, bushings, shims and nut. However, they do't have
them on auction at the moment. I have bought them from JTS at well under
$100.
Steve

"Paul G. Shultz" wrote in message
I just saw an R-8 adaptor go for $114.50 on e-bay. It was a lot more than
I was willing to pay for it though it did have a number of cutters with it.
Does anyone know where I could buy one of these. It was an R-8 shank with
a 1" dia. keyed shaft with threads and a nut on the end. It is made to
hold milling cutters with a 1" keyed hole. I have plenty of milling
cutters for my horizontal milling machine, but it would be nice to have a
shank like that for my vertical milling machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Steve Lusardi wrote:

[...]

Appears to be about $ 78 at ENCO assuming I hit the right thing.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

can't testify to the quality though. I got my import version via J&L
and it seems to be passable for the price.

Koz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Sullivan

My first stop for stuff like this, they are half way between home and work.
Sending a link along, they probably have at least one of them on hand.

http://www.brothersmachinery.com/

John Sullivan