Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Laser measuring devices

My wife bought me this package of five or so yellow laser devices. They
throw lines that work okay if you are working in the dark, and the work
doesn't have to be straight or plumb or level.

Then, there's one that measures distance. It doesn't work very well in the
sunlight here in the desert southwest. But, I was playing with it today (a
cloudy day here), and just wondered ..........

How accurate are they? It would be handy for some things I do, or are they
just for guesstimating?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Bengtsson

How accurate are they? It would be handy for some things I do, or are
they
just for guesstimating?

Most of the less expensive laser stuff is advertised as having an accuracy
of 1mm per meter. Some of the cheaper stuff I have seen would be struggling
to even reach that standard. What I do find useful, is using it as a
substitute for a string line, or piano wire. The advantage of a light beam,
is that it's dead nuts straight, and doesn't sag. Just remember to measure
from the edge of the light, not the middle, for best results. Unless you can
calibrate the bubbles, assume any spirit levels are only "moderately"
aligned with the beam of light...

As for the distance measuring device, there should be some indictation
somewhere how accurate it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

These are mostly trash. I tried one out that someone gave me. It's just
about useless.
I do have a laser instrument that will read distances up to 3 mi. to
+/- 1 mm and reads angles, vertical & horizontal to 1 second of arc. It
cost $25,000+ new. It is now obsolete, replaced by GPS.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Young

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
These are mostly trash. I tried one out that someone gave me. It's just
about useless.
I do have a laser instrument that will read distances up to 3 mi. to
+/- 1 mm and reads angles, vertical & horizontal to 1 second of arc. It
cost $25,000+ new. It is now obsolete, replaced by GPS.

I'm jealous. My GPS don't do dat. And I have need for sub-centimeter
measurement over long distance. I presume from "obsolete" that you no longer
use it?

Mike.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:44:04 GMT, "Mike Young"
wrote:

"Bugs" wrote in message
roups.com...
These are mostly trash. I tried one out that someone gave me. It's just
about useless.
I do have a laser instrument that will read distances up to 3 mi. to
+/- 1 mm and reads angles, vertical & horizontal to 1 second of arc. It
cost $25,000+ new. It is now obsolete, replaced by GPS.

I'm jealous. My GPS don't do dat. And I have need for sub-centimeter
measurement over long distance. I presume from "obsolete" that you no longer
use it?

Sounds like high-end land surveying gear, probably made just as the
military was first fielding GPS systems. IIRC Surveyors were the
first to buy the equipment and mess around with GPS, and the first to
get the military bypass keys around the "Selective Availability"
encryption.

And they also invented "Differential GPS" - another receiver at a
known fixed datum/bench point transmitting the exact 'fudge factor'
needed to offset the SA accuracy degradation. But you'd still need to
run the plots with the computerized laser transit to verify the
figures and points.

Now that they've given up on SA, they probably allow the high-
accuracy GPS systems to be the final arbiter - right?

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

According the Garmins website about GPS the first satellite was launched in
1978

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"John" wrote in message
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:44:04 GMT, "Mike Young"
wrote:

"Bugs" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

They had gps in the late 60's. The one thing they didn't have was the
miniature computers to spit out the computations. All the raw data was
taken back to the lab and processed to fine the position information.
It took about six minutes of data to get a reasonable position.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

4. Mike Young
Dec 25, 12:44 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Mike Young" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:44:04 GMT
Subject: Laser measuring devices
original | Report Abuse

"Bugs" wrote in message

oups.com...

These are mostly trash. I tried one out that someone gave me. It's just
about useless.
I do have a laser instrument that will read distances up to 3 mi. to
+/- 1 mm and reads angles, vertical & horizontal to 1 second of arc. It
cost $25,000+ new. It is now obsolete, replaced by GPS.

I'm jealous. My GPS don't do dat. And I have need for sub-centimeter
measurement over long distance. I presume from "obsolete" that you no
longer
use it?

I still get it out once in a while to do some work around the house.
Can't really justify keeping it. It also has a fairly primitive data
collector. It's a Nikon 1 sec. laser theodolite.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer

Bugs wrote:
4. Mike Young
Dec 25, 12:44 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Mike Young" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:44:04 GMT
original | Report Abuse

"Bugs" wrote in message

oups.com...

These are mostly trash. I tried one out that someone gave me. It's just
about useless.
I do have a laser instrument that will read distances up to 3 mi. to
+/- 1 mm and reads angles, vertical & horizontal to 1 second of arc. It
cost $25,000+ new. It is now obsolete, replaced by GPS.

I'm jealous. My GPS don't do dat. And I have need for sub-centimeter
measurement over long distance. I presume from "obsolete" that you no
longer
use it?

I still get it out once in a while to do some work around the house.
Can't really justify keeping it. It also has a fairly primitive data
collector. It's a Nikon 1 sec. laser theodolite.
Bugs

For high precision GPS you need differential GPS. If in the sticks, you
may need to create your own pseudo-satellite, but near populated areas
and major airports, you may be able to use someone else's. I see many
of the consumer GPS systems now say they are capable of differential GPS.

Also, even with differential, to get sub-cm precision you need to sit
receiver there for a lengthy time, averaging the readings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 26 Dec 2005 05:09:31 -0800, "Bugs" wrote:

4. Mike Young
Dec 25, 12:44 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Mike Young" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:44:04 GMT
original | Report Abuse

"Bugs" wrote in message

roups.com...

These are mostly trash. I tried one out that someone gave me. It's just
about useless.
I do have a laser instrument that will read distances up to 3 mi. to
+/- 1 mm and reads angles, vertical & horizontal to 1 second of arc. It
cost $25,000+ new. It is now obsolete, replaced by GPS.

I'm jealous. My GPS don't do dat. And I have need for sub-centimeter
measurement over long distance. I presume from "obsolete" that you no
longer
use it?

I still get it out once in a while to do some work around the house.
Can't really justify keeping it. It also has a fairly primitive data
collector. It's a Nikon 1 sec. laser theodolite.
Bugs

If you cant find the room for it..Im sure Id put it to good use, when
accompanied by a 300 Winchester Magnum. My little double image range
finder isnt accurate enough out past 600 meters.

And I have some friends with .50 Barretts.....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Metal measuring and marking devices Ron Culver Metalworking 5 May 2nd 05 02:32 AM
Laser Measuring device SidKnee UK diy 3 April 22nd 05 03:59 PM
Laser tape measuring tools ziggs Home Repair 3 August 17th 04 05:51 AM
Measuring Devices / Tape Measures Nick Bozovich Woodworking 37 January 6th 04 01:57 AM
JDS Uniphase SLM uGreen 532 nm DPSS Laser problems Sam Goldwasser Electronics Repair 0 July 15th 03 03:50 PM