DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   it's the little things which can kill you. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13638-its-little-things-can-kill-you.html)

Gunner December 23rd 03 02:40 AM

it's the little things which can kill you.

On 22 Dec 2003 15:01:18 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Nick Hull says...

I think it would be more instructive to stick a little metal plaque on
the forehead of every person who gbot himself injured by a machine.
I'll bet some people would be covered by plaques and most people would
have none.

Ha ha. That's truly hilarious! Reminds me of the
movie _Gung_Ho_ where one character tells another
one that the ribbons on his jacket are really
pretty, and he replies "THOSE ARE BADGES OF SHAME!"
Folks should be required to wear a placard of their
IQ stapled to their forehead.

Jim

Ive always considered my various Purple Hearts to be Purple ****up
Awards.

Gunner

'If you own a gun and have a swimming pool in the yard, the swimming
pool is almost 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is.'"
Steven Levitt, UOC prof.

DoN. Nichols December 23rd 03 05:59 AM

Bridgeport Spindle Stiffness?

In article ,
Peter R wrote:
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the axial stiffness of a bridgeport
or clone spindle is?

I've seen some 40 taper spindles listed in the 500,000lbs/in for two
bearings at the tool end, ranging up to 900,000 lbs/in for a 3 bearing
(at the tool end) unit. I'm sure big mills go way higher.

My BP clone's manual doesn't specify spindle stiffness and that has made
me curious.

Hmm ... My Bridgeport (a Series-I CNC version) uses 30 taper
tooling, and the more common R8 tooling has a taper which matches the
big end of the 30 taper tooling, so you probably should look up the
stiffness of machines with 30 taper tooling instead.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Mustmaker December 23rd 03 12:45 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

I had just finished sharpening a knife for a coworker.....
My voice"Be careful, that is sharp."
His voice "Ow!. Does anybody have a bandaid?????"

My most recent injury involved a combination of boiling water and an instants
inattention, quite the painful experience.

John H.

David A. Webb December 23rd 03 01:53 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:22:03 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Tuesday night the 16th we had a man killed when, the machine he's been
working at for several months caught him and wrapped him round the shaft.

This wasn't in Davenport, IA, was it?

Dave

pyotr filipivich December 23rd 03 08:17 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

A city wide blackout at Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:24:06 -0500 did not prevent Nick
Hull from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
In article ,

Something for us all to remember. I wonder if sticking a little
metal plaque on every machine that has caused a serrious injury
(listing what, when and maybe who) would make a difference or if that
might be to morbid...

I think it would be more instructive to stick a little metal plaque on
the forehead of every person who gbot himself injured by a machine.
I'll bet some people would be covered by plaques and most people would
have none.

"Here's your sign..."

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich December 23rd 03 08:18 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

A city wide blackout at Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:40:46 GMT did not prevent Gunner
wrote:

In article , Nick Hull says...

I think it would be more instructive to stick a little metal plaque on
the forehead of every person who gbot himself injured by a machine.
I'll bet some people would be covered by plaques and most people would
have none.

Ha ha. That's truly hilarious! Reminds me of the
movie _Gung_Ho_ where one character tells another
one that the ribbons on his jacket are really
pretty, and he replies "THOSE ARE BADGES OF SHAME!"
Folks should be required to wear a placard of their
IQ stapled to their forehead.

Jim

Ive always considered my various Purple Hearts to be Purple ****up
Awards.

"Smart enough to think of a plan, dumb enough to try it, lucky enough to
survive."

"You get a medal doing something stupid while an officer watches." SSgt
P.R. Hampe (ret)

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich December 23rd 03 08:22 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

A city wide blackout at Tue, 23 Dec 2003 07:53:23 -0600 did not prevent David
A. Webb from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking
the following:
wrote:

Tuesday night the 16th we had a man killed when, the machine he's been
working at for several months caught him and wrapped him round the shaft.

This wasn't in Davenport, IA, was it?

It was in Tukwila Washington.

--
pyotr filipivich.

Carl West December 23rd 03 09:36 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

Mark Rand wrote:
I was explaining to my five year old daughter how dangerous saws were, while
using a 3 foot bow saw to cut up some scrap wood for a bonfire. As I
explained, the saw bounced and ran over my index finger. Ten years later I
still have the scar.

My step-grandfather gave me my first knife.
In showing me how to use it, he cut himself.
I'll never know if it was intentional.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

If I had six hours to chop down a tree,
I'd spend the first four sharpening the axe.
- Abraham Lincoln

Joel Corwith December 24th 03 04:15 AM

wrote:

Tuesday night the 16th we had a man killed when, the machine he's been
working at for several months caught him and wrapped him round the shaft.

This wasn't in Davenport, IA, was it?

Man it bums me to hear "davenport" this time of year. I think of downtown,
the snow falling and Xmas shopping with the folks. MajorArt&Hobbies was the
big hit if that's still around. Used to love the multi-levels of Sears.
Dang malls.

Joel. phx (ex-Bettendorfer)

Dave

David A. Webb December 24th 03 04:14 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

You are kidding, right?

Store owners in the malls are all crying "Dang Wal-Mart!".

Major Art & Hobby is still there. I haven't been there in a few years
though. I'm not sure how it is capable of existing.

Dave

Joel Corwith December 24th 03 08:09 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

"David A. Webb" wrote in message
You are kidding, right?

Would I kid?

Store owners in the malls are all crying "Dang Wal-Mart!".

I think everyone is crying "bad economy" this year. Wasn't a Walmart when
we were there. Kmart on Kimberly and something before the Target across
from Duckcreek mall. I imagine the Kimberly Road Barn is still there?
Turnstyle (I think it was called) on the corner of Kimberly & Brady? just
before getting to the mall. Had a huge ramp to get out of the parking lot.
We shopped for dad at the K&K hardware down by the river.

Oh man,... happy joes pizza. I'm jones'n

Major Art & Hobby is still there. I haven't been there in a few years
though. I'm not sure how it is capable of existing.

Isn't there a boat or something docked down there. Get them tourist dollars
:( I remember the snow flurries as we gathered at Bishops for lunch.
Server was showing up every few minutes because {someone} wouldn't leave the
'light' alone. One of the stores had those ice skaters and whatnot in the
windows. I don't remember the other department stores (Penny's &
Petersons?) like Sears. I remember playing on the stairs there and that
they bought in toys to where the garden area was.

Of course in Bettendorf we had the DuckCreek Mall, before they butchered
that. Team electronics right next to the toystore (forget the name).
Santa was out in the cold. Last time I was in there was in college, looking
at diamond rings. Place reminded me of a morgue.

Joel. phx (20th Street, Middle Road Park if that rings any bells)

David A. Webb December 29th 03 01:41 PM

it's the little things which can kill you.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:09:28 -0700, "Joel Corwith"
wrote:

I think everyone is crying "bad economy" this year. Wasn't a Walmart when
we were there. Kmart on Kimberly and something before the Target across
from Duckcreek mall. I imagine the Kimberly Road Barn is still there?
Turnstyle (I think it was called) on the corner of Kimberly & Brady? just
before getting to the mall. Had a huge ramp to get out of the parking lot.
We shopped for dad at the K&K hardware down by the river.

Oh man,... happy joes pizza. I'm jones'n

There are currently three "Super Wal-Mart" stores in the area.
One on North Elmore Avenue, one on the west side of Davenport
on Kimberly, and one in Moline. They are working on the details of
opening a fourth in Rock Island.

The K-Mart on Kimberly closed. I believe it is a hobby store now.

Target moved to Elmore Avenue, and is not a "Super Target".

Duckcreek mall is trying to save itself. It tore down one of the big
stores, and built on a free-standing (no mall access that I can see)
Home Depot. It just opened three weeks ago. I doubt it will help, as
it is so similar to Lowes. There are two Lowes in the QC area, and
they are easier to get to.

K&K is still there, and it's business is still very strong.
I stopped shopping at that store because they no longer allow people
to pick and choose their nuts and bolts, and write down on the bag
what they are buying. A store employee has to take everything you
want and write down individual SKU numbers, which makes a quick trip
to the store to get a handfull of parts take an hour. Too many other
True Value stores in the area for me to deal with that. None of the
other ones do that.

I don't recall a Turnstyle at Bradey and Kimberly. There is a HOOTERS
there now. (north west corner of the intersection)

Things change over time, and not always for the better.

Dave