Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Jones

Default School Shop auction in Buffalo, NY

From a mailing list I'm in:

http://www.auctionsinternational.com...ory/100-1.html

Lots of mislabeling - surface grinders and tool grinders called milling
machines, etc. Some pretty good prices so far.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
HotRod

Will this machine (Model 148884, 3-phase, 230v, 1.5 hp) work in my 220V home
shop?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

It will if you:

1. Put together a rotary phase converter (often referred to as an RPC FYI as
a search term). There is lots! of stuff in the archives on this. (I picked
up 5 hp 3 phase motor, for RPC use, from Rottblotts. Cost was $25, but was
in the context of a much larger purchase.)
or
2. Use an external start capacitor to start it (but at a degraded horse
power rating, probably a bit less than 1 horse after degraded)
or
3. Get a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD is your search term) to power it.

I wouldn't let three phase stop me, there are quite a number of machines you
are going to be interested in that will require three phase.

But you should also take a look at the Axelson that Campbell Sorenson are
offering on ebay! (whoops, actually just ended, but no bids, so they'll
probably put it up again), as well as the 15 inch Colchester. (If I could
sell the notion of a fourth lathe to my wife, I'd be signifcantly tempted by
one of those). They also have a 13" Sheldon that looks interesting.

Adam

"HotRod" wrote in message
Will this machine (Model 148884, 3-phase, 230v, 1.5 hp) work in my 220V
home shop?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Dan Jones wrote in article
From a mailing list I'm in:

http://www.auctionsinternational.com...ory/100-1.html

Lots of mislabeling - surface grinders and tool grinders called milling
machines, etc. Some pretty good prices so far.

Having taught automotive technology in a vocational school setting for ten
years, I can assure you that there were no better-looking - nor
more-beat-up - machines than those that existed in our machine shop
program.

Plenty of time to clean and paint them each and every year, coupled with
plenty of opportunity for inexperienced people to crash running gears and
otherwise abuse said machines....

.....remember, they are there to *learn* and *make mistakes* in a
controlled, low-pressure environment from which they cannot be fired. "So
you ran the tool bit into the spinning chuck!!!! That's okay....You didn't
MEAN to.....It'll still work well enough for our purposes....."

I, personally, would rather buy one from an industrial setting - the
attention needs of said machine being obvious and not covered with a fresh
coat of paint....