Jim Frozen

Default Tanker accident

On 18 Dec 2003 13:41:42 -0800, jim rozen said:

In article , DT says...

Yep, I've seen it happen also. I guess the average citizen is pretty shocked to
think of people walking around in a cloud of *damn* cold nitrogen with liquid
on the floor, but we did it all the time.

Ha ha. I was putting some LN2 into a small hand dewar one
time, outside a co-workers's lab. I made the comment to
him that the LN2 worked *great* at removing floor tiles
and he said that was bull****, it would never do that.

So I simply poured a small steady stream onto the floor
and sure enough that tile fractured into a hundred pieces
and the mastic let loose on about half of them.

You should have heard the crying and wailing, "look what
you just did to the floor outside *my* lab!!"

Once an asshole, always an asshole.

Jim Frozen

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:26:24 -0800, Ken Davey whined:

Jim Frozen wrote:
On 18 Dec 2003 13:41:42 -0800, jim rozen said:

Once an asshole, always an asshole.

Yup PLONK

SPANK!

Ken Davey

Jim Frozen wrote:
On 18 Dec 2003 13:41:42 -0800, jim rozen said:

Once an asshole, always an asshole.

Yup PLONK

Tim Williams

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
The magnitude of the forces trying to break those weak intermolecular
bonds increases with temperature. Shoving them closer together with
pressure isn't enough, above the critical temperature, to get them to
stay in the liquid state because the pressure alone can't compensate
for thermal agitation, ie the force vectors don't line up in opposition
often enough to cancel out throughout the bulk of the material.

So just below critical, does the necessary pressure increase exponentially
(I should really say like a 1/x (inverse) curve), until after critical it
takes infinite pressure?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Ken Davey

Jim Frozen wrote:
On 18 Dec 2003 13:41:42 -0800, jim rozen said:

Once an asshole, always an asshole.

Yup PLONK

SPANK!

Cute. Got any more addresses to let you get in the last word?
FLUSH

Gary Coffman

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:33:31 -0600, "Tim Williams" wrote:
"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
.. .
The magnitude of the forces trying to break those weak intermolecular
bonds increases with temperature. Shoving them closer together with
pressure isn't enough, above the critical temperature, to get them to
stay in the liquid state because the pressure alone can't compensate
for thermal agitation, ie the force vectors don't line up in opposition
often enough to cancel out throughout the bulk of the material.

So just below critical, does the necessary pressure increase exponentially
(I should really say like a 1/x (inverse) curve), until after critical it
takes infinite pressure?

The pressure increases from the atmospheric liquification temperature
to 492 PSI at the critical temperature.

Gary
Mark Rand

wrote:

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
.. .
The magnitude of the forces trying to break those weak intermolecular
bonds increases with temperature. Shoving them closer together with
pressure isn't enough, above the critical temperature, to get them to
stay in the liquid state because the pressure alone can't compensate
for thermal agitation, ie the force vectors don't line up in opposition
often enough to cancel out throughout the bulk of the material.

So just below critical, does the necessary pressure increase exponentially
(I should really say like a 1/x (inverse) curve), until after critical it
takes infinite pressure?

Tim

No. Think of a supercritical fluid as one in which there is no difference
between liquid and gas. The highest performance steam boilers for power
stations produce steam under supercritical conditions.

This url might help:-

http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/People/CMR/whatarescf.html

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
jim rozen

In article , Mark Rand says...

Think of a supercritical fluid as one in which there is no difference
between liquid and gas. The highest performance steam boilers for power
stations produce steam under supercritical conditions.

As an example, the magnets for the superconducting
supercollider were cooled with supercritical helium.

Jim

please reply to: