Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Default KDE 6500T Diesel Gen Set?

A local industrial auction here has a bunch of new "KDE 6500T" diesel
generators coming up. I'm interested but a web search shows little
information. All the auction people say is that they are of "Asian"
manufacture and are 110/220V. Was wondering if anyone had any further
information especially where they are manufactured and how good (or bad)
they are? Maybe the 6500 refers to Wattage (?). They are enclosed in a
yellow coloured cabinet.

TIA for any help.........

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols

In article 0N0of.146668$y_1.76962@edtnps89,
Laurie Forbes wrote:
:A local industrial auction here has a bunch of new "KDE 6500T" diesel
:generators coming up. I'm interested but a web search shows little
:information. All the auction people say is that they are of "Asian"
:manufacture and are 110/220V. Was wondering if anyone had any further
:information especially where they are manufactured and how good (or bad)
:they are? Maybe the 6500 refers to Wattage (?). They are enclosed in a
:yellow coloured cabinet.

Ever heard of Google?? Here's a promising link:

http://www.bundupower.co.za/KDE6500T_5.5kVA.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Robert Nichols" wrote in
message ...
Laurie Forbes wrote:
:A local industrial auction here has a bunch of new "KDE 6500T" diesel
:generators coming up. I'm interested but a web search shows little
:information. All the auction people say is that they are of "Asian"
:manufacture and are 110/220V. Was wondering if anyone had any further
:information especially where they are manufactured and how good (or bad)
:they are? Maybe the 6500 refers to Wattage (?). They are enclosed in a
:yellow coloured cabinet.

Ever heard of Google??

Why no, what's a Google?

Here's a promising link:

http://www.bundupower.co.za/KDE6500T_5.5kVA.htm

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

10^100^100

Why no, what's a Google?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
10^100^100

Why no, what's a Google?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

A Google is something worn over the eyes.....

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
10^100^100

Why no, what's a Google?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

Check dictionary, "goggle" eye covering. Not google

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

A Google is something worn over the eyes.....

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
10^100^100

Why no, what's a Google?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in some
other way.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:30:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in some
other way.

I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:30:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's

writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who

coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot

of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in

some
other way.

I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

Is that a 3-dimensional parsec, or a 4-dimensional parsec?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Larry Jaques"
I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

Is that a 3-dimensional parsec, or a 4-dimensional parsec?

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, A parsec is a perfectly good unit of distance.
ie. I guess that is single dimension.
I use to know how far it was but havent been using
those terms for about 50 yrs.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:30:33 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in some
other way.

Ed, the terms were passed to the general population after they heard
Carl Sagan say it billions and billions of times.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Clif Holland" wrote in message

Check dictionary, "goggle" eye covering. Not google

--

Should have included a smiley I guess (:)

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who
coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in
some
other way.

I've heard of Kasner and his nephew but haven't read any of his books - I
guess I'm just a science geek who picked up the term in reading science
stuff or perhaps from Carl Sagan or other science educators.

BTW, I don't believe either term has a whole lot of applicability in the
real world i.e.science as even a googol is a lot larger than the number of
elementary particles in the universe. A googolplex of course is even more
ethereal

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's

writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who

coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot

of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in

some
other way.

Ed, the terms were passed to the general population after they heard
Carl Sagan say it billions and billions of times.
ERS

AHA! Yes, now I remember. He's the one who read Kasner. g

Thanks for reminding me.

(BTW, _Mathematics And The Imagination_ is a good read for the imaginatively
inclined. No calculus and no calculations to do, promise...)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

[...]

The kid (he was 9 years old at the time, IIRC) was wrestling with the
concept of infinity, and he and his uncle were exploring really big numbers
of actual things at the time. The kid was being taught that even good
scientists lose their bearings when numbers get really, really big.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Guy Fawkes

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:30:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in some
other way.

I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

19182626981055.107150124206375225

from memory the short side being one AU or 93 million miles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

(BTW, _Mathematics And The Imagination_ is a good read for the

imaginatively
inclined. No calculus and no calculations to do, promise...)

PHWAP UP SIDE OF HEAD Jeez. I hadn't picked it up for a few years, but it
*does* contain calculus and calculations. However, you don't have to *know*
calculus -- it's just an explanation of what calculus is and what it's good
for. And Kasner does the calculations for you if you're lazy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Bob Nichols suggests:

http://www.bundupower.co.za/KDE6500T_5.5kVA.htm

Hey Bob and Laurie,

Have a very close look then. Not sure where Laurie is located, but
the spec shown with that webpage indicate 50 Hz, and therefore not
real useful in North America as a back-up generator. If it's just a
governor setting, then maybe it can be "fixed", but most I've seen use
a vibrating reed indicator, and that would have to be replaced too.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
news
Bob Nichols suggests:

http://www.bundupower.co.za/KDE6500T_5.5kVA.htm

Hey Bob and Laurie,

Have a very close look then. Not sure where Laurie is located, but
the spec shown with that webpage indicate 50 Hz, and therefore not
real useful in North America as a back-up generator. If it's just a
governor setting, then maybe it can be "fixed", but most I've seen use
a vibrating reed indicator, and that would have to be replaced too.

I noticed that too but I've looked further and found a Canadian dealer on
the web - they sell a 60 Hz, 120/240 version of the 6500T so I expect that's
what is at the auction. I've got a call into this dealer to see if I can
find the retail price - the auction folks say they have sold a lot of these
in the past (all new units) and the price is usually in the 2K to 2.5K
range.

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Guy Fawkes wrote:
19182626981055.107150124206375225

from memory the short side being one AU or 93 million miles

Are you sure of that? I was remembering the short side being the
diameter of the earths orbit.
We should realy change the sub. to astronomy measurements. :-)

For the uninitiated: a parsec is the distance an object is that
produces an aparent change of one second of arc as measured
from two points in the earths orbit around the sun. I thought
it was at opposite ends of a diameter but Guy (as above) seems
to indicate only a radius. Will have to check this out.
Of course the dictionary just says 19.2 trillion miles. bah!
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Ignoramus8558" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:45:53 GMT, Laurie Forbes
wrote:

[...]

I would not pay that much for a 3,600 RPM "advertised 6.5 kW" no name
generator, with unknown hours. $200, is the most I would give if
I wanted one.

Yes - I'm not too impressed either with the 3600 RPM aspect of it. It does
appear to be "no-name" alright (just looked at one at the auction site and
no country of origin at all is evident). Hours are not unknown however as
the units offered are all new.

I have personal experience with a 3,600 RPM diesel generator, what a
POS. Would not start in cold weather and obnoxiously loud and vibrated
a lot. It was a "Coleman 4 kW diesel generator" sold by WINCO. With a
Lombardini diesel engine.

The published noise figures are not bad (57 db) but who knows about cold
weather starting (which is when it would be most likely needed for power
back-up). I'd like to hear one running but that doesn't look like it will
happen as all but one were in crates and the one out was not preped for
operation.

I wonder if "auction folks" are telling the truth about their past
prices.

Who knows - whatever past pricing, current auction price is all that matters
(I would like to know the retail however b/f going).

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Guy Fawkes

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Guy Fawkes wrote:
19182626981055.107150124206375225

from memory the short side being one AU or 93 million miles

Are you sure of that? I was remembering the short side being the
diameter of the earths orbit.
We should realy change the sub. to astronomy measurements. :-)

For the uninitiated: a parsec is the distance an object is that
produces an aparent change of one second of arc as measured
from two points in the earths orbit around the sun. I thought
it was at opposite ends of a diameter but Guy (as above) seems
to indicate only a radius. Will have to check this out.
Of course the dictionary just says 19.2 trillion miles. bah!
...lew...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:37:51 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

Is that a 3-dimensional parsec, or a 4-dimensional parsec?

The judicious answer would, of course, include figures for both.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Laurie, check this out, they try to sell slightly bigger ones on ebay
for UKP 875 (US $1500) and no one is buying:

ebay item 7567285415

http://cgi.ebay.com/5KVA-Super-silen...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Ig - as far as I can tell, the 6700 is similar to the 6500, at least
in appearance and output. I still have not yet been able to determine who
manufactures the things but I'm guessing it's almost certainly China.
Anyhow, the $1,500 US price (which is about $1,750 Can) would indicate to me
at least that purchase at auction should not go much above $1,000 since no
warranty is supplied and no apparent service facilities exist near my
location. I don't know what I'd do if I bought one and it was DOA or
crapped out later. It sounds like a pretty big gamble even though the
auction person said they have sold about 100 w/o complaints (well, he
sounded credible and the auction house is large, long established here and
considered reputable).

I guess I'll go tomorrow and see if the spirit (and bid prices) move
me......

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:46:34 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Guy Fawkes wrote:
19182626981055.107150124206375225

from memory the short side being one AU or 93 million miles

Are you sure of that? I was remembering the short side being the
diameter of the earths orbit.
We should realy change the sub. to astronomy measurements. :-)

And ruin our reputations for being off-topic of the off-topic drift?
Never!

For the uninitiated: a parsec is the distance an object is that
produces an aparent change of one second of arc as measured
from two points in the earths orbit around the sun. I thought
it was at opposite ends of a diameter but Guy (as above) seems
to indicate only a radius. Will have to check this out.
Of course the dictionary just says 19.2 trillion miles. bah!

According to Asimov's "Realm of Measure", it's 3.26 light years.
According to him, a light year is 5,878,000,000,000 miles (9464
terameters) so a parsec is 19,161,000,000,000 or 30860 terameters.
BTW, this is in 3-dimensional parlance.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Not only that Ed - I snared I think Webster Dictionary for getting the math definition
wrong for googol - wrote a letter and got a very nice reply from the Editor in Chief!
Took the big guy to admit a major error.

The one I was using - in UNIX - via XR4 software from Harvard (IIRC) who had a preliminary
software version - e.g. I was doing manual spell checking and dictionary verification
before some others in Washington though of it....

I have the letter in my papers - and maybe a soft copy in my arcive. Kinda neat.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in some
other way.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

There you go - Si and Non-Si units!

No direct route - indirect only.
1 parsec = 3.261 light years = 9.46 pentameters = 10^12 kilometers divide by 1.6.09 =miles.

something like - 1.9 x1013 more or less (a silly mm)
If I did that right... :-)

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:30:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

Oops, no, that's a Googleplex. A Google is 10^100. Sorry.

You must be thinking of a Googol

This is really strange. You must be familiar with Edward Kasner's writing,
perhaps _Mathematics And The Imagination_. It was Kasner's nephew who coined
"googol" and "googolplex."

I've run into quite a few people who have heard the terms. Either a lot of
people read math books for fun, or the terms have been passed along in some
other way.

I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

The parsec isn't used much any more - Pentameter is the Si unit - but the parsec is
allowed in a phased out method.
The mile is long gone, but still recognized.
Such is life.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:37:51 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I believe I read it some Isaac Asimov book eons ago.
Quick, how many miles are in a parsec?

Is that a 3-dimensional parsec, or a 4-dimensional parsec?

The judicious answer would, of course, include figures for both.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Before you bid, make sure they can be used in the USA and Canada
(yes, I checked) - this spec sheet calls for 3000 RPM / 50 Hz only.
There are lot of things that won't like running at 50 Hz., either the
motors aren't dual rated and will run hot, or they have clocks that
will run slow, or even items with computer chips but no clock section
that take their timing pulses from the utility power and will get
seriously confuzzled.

The version they are offering is 60 Hz so no problem.

And as an aside, if you want a larger Diesel powered generator set
and plan on running these units long and hard, you really should
search for a 4-pole generator where the engine is only turning 1800
RPM. That slower engine operating speed makes a big difference when
it comes to long term reliability.

-- Bruce --

I hear you - the unit would only however be for occasional use (AC backup
and portable welding etc). As well, I would like a diesel gen as I make my
own car fuel (biodiesel) so I always have a barrel or two on hand (good for
those long blackouts

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Not only that Ed - I snared I think Webster Dictionary for getting the

math definition
wrong for googol - wrote a letter and got a very nice reply from the

Editor in Chief!
Took the big guy to admit a major error.

The one I was using - in UNIX - via XR4 software from Harvard (IIRC) who

had a preliminary
software version - e.g. I was doing manual spell checking and dictionary

verification
before some others in Washington though of it....

I have the letter in my papers - and maybe a soft copy in my arcive.

Kinda neat.

I'd keep that one. I don't know what for, but I'd keep it. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Guy Fawkes wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec

Thanks. I did say it was about 50 yrs ago. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

googol is how it is really spelled.

Hichhickers guide to the universe I think miss-educated some.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=googol

The number 10 raised to the power 100 (10^100), written out as the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros.

[Coined at the age of nine by Milton Sirotta, nephew of Edward Kasner (1878-1955), American mathematician.]

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life