Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Dumb "current transformer" questions

Assuming the transformer is capable of the current needed use ample wire
so it won't heat.
I wouldn't make the turns so high - but do as needed. You might have
to adjust the high side a bit for calibration - but the easiest is to buy
a 2 ohm 1 watt and adjust from 2 ohm to almost zero. Might want wattage higher
if possible so if the value is low the current will be high.

The professional current transformers I have are 10 turns on a core
and the user puts in the high current windings.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus29580 wrote:
Let's say that I have a cable and I want to measure the AC current
going through it. Up to, say, 100 amps.

I could use a current transformer, right?

If I have a say 200:1 current transformer, then on a 100 amp AC
current it would want to produce a 0.5 amp current. Then if I stick,
say, a 1 ohm resistor across it, it would produce 0.5*1 = 0.5 volts
AC across the resistor.

Is that right?