Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Ping Bruce bergman -- 3 phase receptacles

Ignoramus29580 wrote:

I have a question... I am a little tired of having output 3 phase
cables hard wired into the phase converter. I want to wire them nicely
using 3 phase breakers (which I have) and make 3 phase receptacles
attached to the phase converter. One would be for the 200 A DC welding
machine rated for 44 amps. Another would be for "stuff", unlikely to
exceed 5-7 HP. Right now I only have a 3 HP bench grinder tat is 3
phase, but that could change as time goes on.

What I would like some help on is selecting proper receptacles. I have
some cable with a "30 A 3 phase plug" (I cannot look at it at the
moment), so it would be nice for the bigger receptacle to be
compatible. Any suggestions? thanks

Three phase plugs, receptacles, and heavy electrical cabling are very expensive.
What I did originally was to cut in six receptacles on the sides of my phase
converter's enclosure box. However, later I wired the phase converter into a
wiring system, and now I run my 3 phase "bus" to six points throughout my shop.
These points terminate in 30A disconnect boxes. I locate 3 phase machines by one
of these points and use conduit and loose wire to connect them. In my shop, I
only use one machine at a time.

If you persist in using receptacles, I suggest you watch ebay until you can buy
a bunch from a quality manufacturer, all the same size and spec, and standardize
on that size.

GWE

Ping Bruce Bergman Gunner Metalworking 2 August 16th 05 04:47 PM
My $45 homemade 10 HP phase converter is WORKING!!! Christopher Tidy Metalworking 56 July 30th 05 05:17 AM
Motor capacitor sizing? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 5 June 10th 05 10:14 PM
PING: Bruce L. Bergman Harold and Susan Vordos Metalworking 7 March 12th 05 02:31 PM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM