Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Newell

Default Why Are Stainless Steel Chips Bad?

In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary

Very often they come off the lathe as one long continuos razor sharp
and very hot strip. I use a pair of channel lock pliers to pull it off
of the tool bit as I don't want to get my hand too close. One of my
machine shop instructors lost the last joint off one of his fingers
that way. I like having all my fingers even if I did nearly grind a
couple off on a surface grinder.
As the sargent on Hill Street Blues used to say "Be careful out there".
73 Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Jim Newell" wrote in message
In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

A propensity to form nasty sharp splinters?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rick

"Jim Newell" wrote in message
In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop

Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine

says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I

don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

They react unfavorably with the French Onion dip ; )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 04:05:06 GMT, "Jim Newell"
wrote:

In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Its rough on the self esteem of the mild steel, or Short Bus, chips.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson

Jim Newell wrote:

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Some guesses:
1) They are too crunchy to eat.
2) The temptation to use them as confetti is too strong.
3) The body cannot break them down if they are slivers under the skin.

--
Accidental creation should not be taught as a fact.
Intelligent creation should not be banned from teachings as

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace

Jim,

It could be something as simple as sellling scrap/chips whereas any
stainless mixed in makes the lot 'worthless'.

"Jim Newell" wrote in message
In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Mon, 12 Dec
2005 09:15:32 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Its rough on the self esteem of the mild steel, or Short Bus, chips.

Ach du liber, it has nothing to do mit self-esteem, but with the
organization they belonged to! (Of course, it also depends on whether
those were Waffle SS chips, or the other guys.)

I've never really understood this opposition to SS chips, my self.
After all, they were the same chips issued to regular army units, just with
a 'snazzy' package. Both were made from potatoes!

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
We now return you to something called reality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
machineman

Slightly ot but reminds me of an occurance way back in the days I ran a
cnc lathe. Our boss was trying to get on the good side of a lady he was
romancing and agreed to let her brother store and work on an old
corvette he had purchaced. The words 'sleeze ball' come to mind here
:-) Anyway, the car was a peice of crap, the frame was rusted out and
the engine toast, and the only work he was doing on it revolved around
adding various cheap aftermarket accessories (fuzy dice) etc. We
happened to machining some SS on the MoriSeiki lathe at the time and we
were getting these long spiral chips 4-5 ft long that looked liked shiny
armoured cable. The idiot saw these in the scrap bin and asked if he
could have a couple, I said sure and off he went to the back room where
the car was. At break in the evening I went out to see what he was up
to, He had taken the chips and put them over the coil and sparkplug
wires :-) I said nothing and left before I fell down laffing. The
inside of the chips was like a file and should not take to long to slice
througn the wires. I told this to all the boys in the shop and we had a
great chuckle for a couple of weeks. I am not sure if he ever got the
car on the road and the boss got dumped by the girlfriend shortly after
so we lost track of the events :-)

"Jim Newell" wrote in message

In reading the Novermber/December 2005 issue of "The Home Shop Machinist",
the author of the article on building a horizontal stirling engine says on
page 13:

"....Yes, I know stainless steel would make a better hot end, but I don't
want SS chips in the high school shop......"

My question is; What is wrong with SS chips?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gary" wrote:

Very often they come off the lathe as one long continuos razor sharp
and very hot strip.

Gee, last night I had to use some stainless steel to make rollers for
a chip conveyor that spit out a roller or three. While it was not as
nice to work with as the 12L14 we feed our index on a daily basis, it
wasn't all that bad to work with on an engine lathe with HSS.

The parting tool liked to make nice long curlies but then since I was
infeeding manually (3/4" rod), I just paused at times to break them
away, same as when drilling on a DP. Back off and clear the curly. Go
back at it.

Wes S