Dick Streff

Default Sony Magnescale DRO

I picked up an old Sony Magnescale DRO for $5. It only has one scale
with it, a 12" SR-1711. The two axis box is an LM20. The scale appears
to work properly from either slot. I'm guessing by outward appearances
it is at least 10 years old?

Sony doesn't have any support online for it I could find. Anyone have a
manual for this rig? I think most of it is self-apparent, but
undoubtedly I'm missing some of the tricks.

I'd like to find another scale and mount this on my 13x40 Harrison
lathe. I can switch the resolution from .005-.001 via the dials on the
rear case. But does that actually mean the 12" scale I'm using is
capable of supplying .001 resolution properly?

I suspect the chances are slim I'd find another scale to round out the
package, but I gotta ask. Any suggestions were to find one?

Dick

Gunner

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:43:26 -0600, Dick Streff
wrote:

I picked up an old Sony Magnescale DRO for $5. It only has one scale
with it, a 12" SR-1711. The two axis box is an LM20. The scale appears
to work properly from either slot. I'm guessing by outward appearances
it is at least 10 years old?

Sony doesn't have any support online for it I could find. Anyone have a
manual for this rig? I think most of it is self-apparent, but
undoubtedly I'm missing some of the tricks.

I'd like to find another scale and mount this on my 13x40 Harrison
lathe. I can switch the resolution from .005-.001 via the dials on the
rear case. But does that actually mean the 12" scale I'm using is
capable of supplying .001 resolution properly?

I suspect the chances are slim I'd find another scale to round out the
package, but I gotta ask. Any suggestions were to find one?

Dick

The DROGUY posts occasionally on alt.machines.cnc. Do a googles group
search on that name and drop him an email. He deals/repairs DROs, so
may be able to find you something.

Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or
delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"