Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Wizman

Default Brass 360 temp chart

I am interested in finding out where there is a color graph for 360 brass
temperatures. Thanks
John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"John Wizman" wrote in message
k.net...
I am interested in finding out where there is a color graph for 360 brass
temperatures. Thanks
John

???

I'm having a hard time understanding your purpose. It might help to
explain your objective. Unlike heat treating carbon steels, I'm not sure
you'd gain much from visual observations.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

Unless he is looking at say annealing cartridge cases, in which if I
remember correctly there is a color reference (blue tint) at which
point they are tipped over in a pan of water......been a few years
since I needed to anneal cart cases, so I may be wrong.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:17:47 GMT, ~Roy wrote:
Unless he is looking at say annealing cartridge cases, in which if I
remember correctly there is a color reference (blue tint) at which
point they are tipped over in a pan of water......been a few years
since I needed to anneal cart cases, so I may be wrong.

Nope, you've got that just right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"~Roy" wrote in message
Unless he is looking at say annealing cartridge cases, in which if I
remember correctly there is a color reference (blue tint) at which
point they are tipped over in a pan of water......been a few years
since I needed to anneal cart cases, so I may be wrong.

I think that's a valid point. I've annealed cartridge necks as well,
although I've never been too concerned about the temperature. Stopping the
annealing process at the right point on the case was more important to me.
I found that a little more heat did nothing to further soften the necks,
they were either annealed, or not. Like in your case, it's been a "few"
years since I last did it as well. Like maybe 30! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Wizman

Basically what I am interesteed in doing is heating something that is inside
of the brass to a specific temp of around 500 degrees.

"John Wizman" wrote in message
k.net...
I am interested in finding out where there is a color graph for 360 brass
temperatures. Thanks
John

???

I'm having a hard time understanding your purpose. It might help to
explain your objective. Unlike heat treating carbon steels, I'm not
sure
you'd gain much from visual observations.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:31:16 GMT, "John Wizman"
wrote:

Basically what I am interesteed in doing is heating something that is inside
of the brass to a specific temp of around 500 degrees.

Inductive heater and a temp probe to set your reference.

Lead melts at about 550, so simply upending it and sticking it in a
pot of molten lead may be below liquidus at 500F

"John Wizman" wrote in message
k.net...
I am interested in finding out where there is a color graph for 360 brass
temperatures. Thanks
John

???

I'm having a hard time understanding your purpose. It might help to
explain your objective. Unlike heat treating carbon steels, I'm not
sure
you'd gain much from visual observations.

Harold

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:33:44 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"John Wizman" wrote in message
nk.net...
Basically what I am interesteed in doing is heating something that is

inside
of the brass to a specific temp of around 500 degrees.

I'm not convinced you'd be able to do that by the color of the brass, but I
could be wrong.

There are crayons used for such a purpose. Might be a cheap way to measure
the temperature you need to verify. I'm not familiar with their use, but
maybe someone here is.

My mind had gone to melting, where the use of a pyrometer is highly
recommended.

Harold

Ive annealed a **** load of brass over the years..and the color change
isnt accurate enough..its too wide in range for even pure cartridge
brass.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner