Peter Michaux

Default Handwheel revolution counter

Hi,

I would like to rig up a low tech, cheap handwheel counter for my
manual milling machine. I'm picturing a three or four digit counter
that looks like an odometer and can be reset with the push of a
button. With each turn of the handwheel something on the handwheel
hits the counter and increases it by one. I don't know what these
parts would actually be called or where they could be purchased. Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

Jim Stewart

Checkmate wrote:
On 8 Dec 2003 14:36:16 -0800, Peter Michaux put forth the notion that...

Hi,

I would like to rig up a low tech, cheap handwheel counter for my
manual milling machine. I'm picturing a three or four digit counter
that looks like an odometer and can be reset with the push of a
button. With each turn of the handwheel something on the handwheel
hits the counter and increases it by one. I don't know what these
parts would actually be called or where they could be purchased. Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

Just a trip-action counter? Try eBay first, then McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Page 1381 in the dead-tree edition

Wild Bill

A lot of surplus dealers sell these, as someone mentioned. You might try
searching for totalizing mechanical digital counters, or even digital
counters. It seems that the last time I was looking for digital counters, I
encountered several dealers offering these.

They can have different types if actuation, some have a shaft that clicks
over to the next digit when its partially rotated, like a micro-switch
lever. These can be cam actuated. For industrial applications, these might
have a 10k or higher count. They're not tiny, so having space to mount them
could present a problem.
You might find a 3 digit counter of this type, but I've mostly seen higher
counts.

Another type has a revolution counter that looks like an odometer (driven by
a small belt or friction wheel) which would need to be set up for the
diameter of the handwheel for a 1:1 count.
The last one I saw was on a downrigger for fishing at a specific depth. It
was small, about 2" x 1 x 1 and 3 digits.

That Shack electronics store used to have a digital LCD totalizing counter
module that could count switch closures. These were small (about the size of
a D-cell's L x W dimensions) and used a single AA battery for power. Two
momentary switches for count and reset would be required, and another for
on/off.
It had a total of 99,999 count, I think.

We've got answers..
From a recent Letterman show.. We don't know what it does, but it's very
compact.

WB

"Peter Michaux" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I would like to rig up a low tech, cheap handwheel counter for my
manual milling machine. I'm picturing a three or four digit counter
that looks like an odometer and can be reset with the push of a
button. With each turn of the handwheel something on the handwheel
hits the counter and increases it by one. I don't know what these
parts would actually be called or where they could be purchased. Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

Larry Jaques

"Peter Michaux" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

I would like to rig up a low tech, cheap handwheel counter for my
manual milling machine. I'm picturing a three or four digit counter

I checked Ebay last night and found several "hand counter" listings
starting at $0.99 each. Cheap enough for ya?

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications