Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Donnie Barnes

Default Selling bearings

On Tue, 29 Nov, Ignoramus20878 wrote:
I am continuing my total bailout, as Don Lancaster puts it.

I have three hundred or so pounds of military surplus bearings.

Little lots of 10 or so bearings in a lot, of various kinds.

The question is how to sell them, with relatively small effort but
also to get not too little for them.

Should I sell them as one lot, or should I sell them in little lots of
all bearings of one kind in a lot?

How much for one Flat Rate box full of assorted ones?

--Donnie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Sign me up for one of those.
Small bearings preferred.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Ignoramus20878 wrote:
On 29 Nov 2005 18:50:07 GMT, Donnie Barnes wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov, Ignoramus20878 wrote:

I am continuing my total bailout, as Don Lancaster puts it.

I have three hundred or so pounds of military surplus bearings.

Little lots of 10 or so bearings in a lot, of various kinds.

The question is how to sell them, with relatively small effort but
also to get not too little for them.

Should I sell them as one lot, or should I sell them in little lots of
all bearings of one kind in a lot?

How much for one Flat Rate box full of assorted ones?

I doubt that I would load it to 70 lbs, the bearings are still in
factory packaging. (I can throw packaging away if you want, but feel
that it would be silly). But in any case, a USPS PM $7.70 box full to
the brim, with no space left at all, I would say would be $30 plus
$7.70 shipping plus delivery confirmation plus tape, say $39 total
including everything.

ichudov AT algebra DOT com
ichudov AT yahoo DOT com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
George

Ignoramus20878 wrote:

OK... I am going to take some photos tonight...

Some are small, some are big, etc.

There are also 3 heavy pieces, looks like parts of differentials. Appx
6-8" in diameter, no moving parts, four opposing holes in the sides
about 2" in diameter.

No visible identification.

I use one as a weight for making sauerkraut.

Eh?

Care to elaborate.

I'm just curious because I would never have thought that sauerkraut
needed weights.

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:40:48 -0600, Rex B wrote:
Sign me up for one of those.
Small bearings preferred.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Ignoramus20878 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:54:43 -0600, George wrote:
Ignoramus20878 wrote:

I use one as a weight for making sauerkraut.

Eh? Care to elaborate.
I'm just curious because I would never have thought that sauerkraut
needed weights.

Need to keep the cabbage in the brine, so you weight it down with a
board on the top, with something heavy. My grandma used a meteorite
that my dad had found, which annoys him to this day (and he's in his
70s).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:04:37 GMT, Ignoramus5455 wrote:
On 30 Nov 2005 15:53:52 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Need to keep the cabbage in the brine, so you weight it down with a
board on the top, with something heavy. My grandma used a meteorite
that my dad had found, which annoys him to this day (and he's in his
70s).

Your dad should try selling that meteorite on ebay...

We can't find it. Pretty sure it's in the back yard of the house where
he used to live. I suppose I could knock on the door and ask if I could
detect for it.

Your description of use of weights for cabbage is 100% spot on.

And the smell is...dramatic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:33:13 GMT, Ignoramus5455 wrote:
On 30 Nov 2005 17:10:11 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
Your description of use of weights for cabbage is 100% spot on.

And the smell is...dramatic.

You mean after eating cabbage?

You've met my dad, I see.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:

Ignoramus20878 wrote:

OK... I am going to take some photos tonight...

Some are small, some are big, etc.

There are also 3 heavy pieces, looks like parts of differentials. Appx
6-8" in diameter, no moving parts, four opposing holes in the sides
about 2" in diameter.

No visible identification.

I use one as a weight for making sauerkraut.

Eh?

Care to elaborate.

I'm just curious because I would never have thought that sauerkraut
needed weights.

We used a roughly spherical granite river rock on top of the
earthenware plate. These were stored in the root cellar when not in
use.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada