Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred Fowler III

Default OT (semi) : Grease Remover

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Fred Fowler III says...

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

I'd probably start with wd40.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:46:56 -0500, Fred Fowler III
wrote:

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Carburetor or brake cleaner in the spray cans. Just don't spray any on
the paint around the frame.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Freddie asks:
Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Some cleaners will discolor and corrode the aluminum parts, if any.
Check a remote corner first,

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Fred Fowler III" wrote in message
Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Automatic dishwashing liquid/paste

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Fred Fowler III wrote:
Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Kerosene to cut the grease. Then a water-based cleaner to allow you to
wash the kerosene off.

I like Gunk engine cleaner or similar products. You mix a little bit
with a lot of kerosene (or diesel fuel, etc.) but absolutely no water.
Then, when you have cut through the grease, spray with water to
dissolve everything.

Pretty cheaply, too.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

I'd use naphtha. If you wipe carefully you should end
up with a residue free surface and no paint damage.

Fred Fowler III wrote:
Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michelle P

We used De-Natured alcohol to degrease jets and turbo props.
Works great and evaporates quickly. Usually paint safe. I use it with a
suction spray gun.
Michelle

Fred Fowler III wrote:

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Fred Fowler III wrote:

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.
Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?
Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

You didn't mention whether the frame is
AL or wood. If it's wood, I wouldn't use
anything stronger than 409. Metal, denatured
alcohol should be fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Mineral spirits ("paint thinner"), naphtha, or charcoal lighter will
remove the grease. Then wash with Dawn diswashing detergent
and warm water.

Then get a spraycan of moly dry film lubricant, Loctite #39895.
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/MOLYDFL-EN.pdf
I found it at a bearing supply place. This leaves a dry film that
doesn't rub off, doesn't attract or hold grit, goesn't get gummy,
and is seriously slippery. A patio door that took both hands and
some weight to open now slides with one finger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If anything else doesn't work try something called Xylol or Xylene, it
is the basis for most over-the-counter adhesive gum solvents. It
smells absolutely terrible, is availble from largely chemical
distriubtor, but is also sold in cans by Home Depot. It's wonderfuly
stuff, but must be used carefully, since it also disolves rubber and
latex gloves.

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred Fowler III

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:46:56 -0500, Fred Fowler III
scribed:

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Wow, you guys are quick!

This is the reason R.C.M is such a great group!

I reckon from the advice, and I have wood frame I will try the Alcoa,
dishwater series. In the event I still have crud there, may have to go
the Naptha (Goo Gone) route.

Thanks everyone!

Freddie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred Fowler III

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:39:07 -0500, Fred Fowler III
scribed:

[...]

I meant naphtha & Alcohol