Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default OT (semi) : Grease Remover

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:46:56 -0500, Fred Fowler III
wrote:

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and
sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened
and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow,
sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Mineral spirits ("paint thinner"), naphtha, or charcoal lighter will
remove the grease. Then wash with Dawn diswashing detergent
and warm water.

Then get a spraycan of moly dry film lubricant, Loctite #39895.
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/MOLYDFL-EN.pdf
I found it at a bearing supply place. This leaves a dry film that
doesn't rub off, doesn't attract or hold grit, goesn't get gummy,
and is seriously slippery. A patio door that took both hands and
some weight to open now slides with one finger.