cj

Default OT- panel wiring

i would like to one day wire control panels for varoius machines but
have no idea what courses to take or even what the courses would be
called.i have over the years worked at fab shops that also did control
panel wiring and it seems to me that the guy doing the wiring from
schematics was making good money and really never busted his ass.so, if
anyone can point me in the right direction or provide info as to what
courses( either online or maybe a community college)i should take i
would be appreciative.
cj

Ecnerwal

In article , cj
wrote:

i would like to one day wire control panels for varoius machines but
have no idea what courses to take or even what the courses would be
called.i have over the years worked at fab shops that also did control
panel wiring and it seems to me that the guy doing the wiring from
schematics was making good money and really never busted his ass.so, if
anyone can point me in the right direction or provide info as to what
courses( either online or maybe a community college)i should take i
would be appreciative.
cj

Chinese language, and "Living contentedly on 5 cents per day".

I wish that was actually more of a joke than it is.

Basic electronics, industrial electrician, industrial controls...

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:04:44 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

Chinese language, and "Living contentedly on 5 cents per day".

I wish that was actually more of a joke than it is.

For as long as there's still a manufacturing or heavy industry of any
sort sited locally, there's still need for panel wiring electricians.
You just can't offshore this sort of on-site work.

Even with added complexity of components and the disappearance of the
old relay cabinets of yore, there's still a call for panel electricians
because an operator control needs a switch and a switch needs a wire,
whether it's simple 24V or optical fibre data.

If you're looking at training though, get some PLC knowledge in there
too.
Karl Townsend

This is one of those learn by doing things. I've learned a lot of this by
installing retrofits on CNC machines. Do a Mach3, then a centroid, then an
omniturn, then a Camsoft, etc. I think you could carefully buy dead
equipment and make a little buy selling running CNC machines. For your
first one, a dead Bridegeport series 3 can be had for under $500.

Of course if you could land a job as an electrican in any manufacturing
site, they will pay you to learn.

Karl

"cj" wrote in message
i would like to one day wire control panels for varoius machines but have
no idea what courses to take or even what the courses would be called.i
have over the years worked at fab shops that also did control panel wiring
and it seems to me that the guy doing the wiring from schematics was making
good money and really never busted his ass.so, if anyone can point me in
the right direction or provide info as to what courses( either online or
maybe a community college)i should take i would be appreciative.
cj

Jon Elson

Karl Townsend wrote:

This is one of those learn by doing things. I've learned a lot of this by
installing retrofits on CNC machines. Do a Mach3, then a centroid, then an
omniturn, then a Camsoft, etc. I think you could carefully buy dead
equipment and make a little buy selling running CNC machines. For your
first one, a dead Bridegeport series 3 can be had for under $500.

Yes, and if you could sell these machines for $12,000 (or $25,000) then
you could
probably make a good living at it. In other words, sell the completed
retrofit for
what a NEW CNC machine goes for. The problem is that customers want the
machine
NOW, and they know how much you picked up the used iron for.

Jon

Nate Weber

cj wrote:
i would like to one day wire control panels for varoius machines but
have no idea what courses to take or even what the courses would be
called.i have over the years worked at fab shops that also did control
panel wiring and it seems to me that the guy doing the wiring from
schematics was making good money and really never busted his ass.so, if
anyone can point me in the right direction or provide info as to what
courses( either online or maybe a community college)i should take i
would be appreciative.
cj

At trade school the classes I took were motors and controls I + II and
PLC's I + II. They dealt directly with relays, control logic, timers, etc.

Nate