Default Fastenal VS Grainger

How do you guys rate the two suppliers against each other. In terms
of price, product line, availability, and customer service?

Thank you for your input,

J James

Karl Townsend

Both great vendors...

I personally order from McMaster Carr first. (Or J&L if its tooling.) They
have an unbeatable combination of service, selection, service, fair price,
and service. Oh, did I mention they have the world's best service?

If McMaster don't have it, and its a bolt screw etc. then Fastenall.
If McMaster don't have it and its HVAC or electrical then Grainger.

Karl

Proctologically Violated©®

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT wrote in
message nk.net...
Both great vendors...

I personally order from McMaster Carr first. (Or J&L if its tooling.) They
have an unbeatable combination of service, selection, service, fair price,
and service. Oh, did I mention they have the world's best service?

If McMaster don't have it, and its a bolt screw etc. then Fastenall.
If McMaster don't have it and its HVAC or electrical then Grainger.

Yeah, McM don't play! Very efficient. MSC as well.

But ito of prices, McMs prices are almost identical, if not a cent or two
higher, to MSC's
Strangely, tho, altho their catalog is smaller (at least by weight!), they
seem to have more "odd" sizes, eg, 1x5 mm dowel pins, whilst MSC *starts* at
3 mm--ditto bearings, etc.
MSC/McM will also try to find odd-er sizes for you. But not always
successfully.

For example, I thought I wanted 1x4 mm dowels. I know a place by me (metric
multistandard, Westchester, NY 800 431 2792--very good comprehensive
resource for "stuff") that had them , but the price was thru the
roof--$17/100 (about 1/4 of one thimble-full), whereas McM is asking about
$7 for the 1x5.
So I asked McM if they could get 1x4--no go; apparently they don't know
about metric multi!
(Turns out I can use the 1x5s, thank gawd...)

Altho their prices are certainly better than Metric Multi's, I'm still not
wild about the prices--the markups are *substantial*, by a factor of 3 in
some cases, as I was able to personally verify.
However, their (MSCs) prices on boxed items, like sheetmetal screws, nuts,
etc. seems far better than HD or yer local hard-on, I mean, hardware store.

Yer local tool supplier likely has accounts w/ MSC/McM, so if you need an
odd small item where the shipping will be greater than the item itself, your
tool supplier can order from them and likely absorb the shipping, as they
probably do this for a bunch of people. Really handy if you do this
regularly, as I do.

Grainger drops the hammer, tho--merciless. Best to find an alternative
source for motors, if you can. ebay is good, yer local rewinding place has
hundreds lying around, scrap yards, etc.

Never heard of Fastenall. Good to know!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Karl

We have accounts with both Grainger and Fastenall. For what we buy
there is no crossover, so can't compare prices. We buy wire and floor
cleaning material from Grainger. Some screws, bolts and spray-can
chemicals from Fastenall. The Grainger items are all shipped UPS, but
usually come next day. Fastenall has stores in Bend and Redmond. The
Redmond store is just a few short steps from our plant.

Pricewise, neither them or McMaster-Carr can compete with the local
screw and bolt salesman when you order in big lots.

Each source has it's pluses and minuses.

Paul,
Jodeco, Inc.
Redmond, OR

Thanks to all for your responses. It was for a little research on my
end more than anything. To be honest, I have worked for one, for about
10 years, not any more, I left recently. Guess which one., LOL

Having been an Industy insider for so many years I can give feedback
from a little different point of view. McMaster I think has the best
availability. 99.9% of what they have in that book is avail for same
day shipping. But I believe, much like MSC, they have a minimum
order. Johnstone is ok from what I have heard from customer, more of
an HVAC shop more than anything, all are independently owned and
operated.

Watch your prices at Grainger, they just rolled out a new pricing
structure, ask your rep about it. Basicly, if you aren't spending
more than $10K a year, your discount will be about 0, or pretty close,
the idea is to consolidate all your pruchases with one supplier and
save, as long as they can deliver, good luck on that one. Also, not
the most technically proficient staff, if you don't know that 5 digit
part number when you come to the counter or call, you are somewhat of
a burden on them, I've seen some pretty bad service scenerios , unless
you have a customer service person who knows what they are doing,
thats about 2% of their customer facing staff, your on your own..
Their tech support is pretty good as an alternative. They do have a
great discount program for customers, as long as you can prove you are
a legit contractor.

Fastenal, nuts and bolts, thats their thing, anything you want,
and if they dont have it, they can make it. Don't have alot of
experience with them.

Questions? Feedback. Tell me some experiences, good and bad. I'd
really like to hear.

FJJ

Errol Groff

On 8 Nov 2005 23:46:42 -0800, wrote:

How do you guys rate the two suppliers against each other. In terms
of price, product line, availability, and customer service?

Thank you for your input,

J James

There is a Fastenal store just north of the town I work in, one in the
town I live in and another just south of here. Occassionally I wish I
could buy the two or three of what I need instead of a box of 50 or
100 but I have to admit everything I have bought from them gets used
eventurally.

MSC I sort wish they would slow down their rapid delivery. Just
kidding of course but they really spoil us and when we have to deal
with other companies we expect (but don't usually get) the same
lightening service.

McMaster-Carr Excellent service and selection. I have gotten a
number of items there I was not able to find anywhere else.

I am building the Ben Fleming designed EDM unit and have had to order
from a variety of on line sources and believe me some of those sites
ain't pretty. We are sooo spoiled by MSC and McM!

I try to deal with local folks whenever possible and a favorite place
is Piela Electric in Preston, CT Any bearing problem can be resolved
there and they are a Grainger outlet also.

Speaking of Grainger. I wanted to order a submersible pump for the
EDM. Went on line and the web site says they are strictly wholesale.
I remembered that there is a Grainger store in Waterford, CT and
bopped on down there after school one day last week. The counter guy
said no problem and the pump was there next morning. Good enough for
me and now I have a new place to go and poke around and buy things I
probalby could get along without.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School