Cuezilla

Default Q/C tool post question.

I bought a 200 phase II quick change tool post for my 13 inch Sheldon
lathe. I am using 3/8 bits. I notice that the bottom of the piston is
about 3/16 below the tool holder and the top of the piston hits the
holder just above the center when it is mounted. I am wondering if it
would be a good idea make a 1/4 or 3/8 inch plate for under the tool
post so the piston will hit the holder more in the center. Have any of
you done this?
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Cuezilla wrote:
I bought a 200 phase II quick change tool post for my 13 inch Sheldon
lathe. I am using 3/8 bits. I notice that the bottom of the piston is
about 3/16 below the tool holder and the top of the piston hits the
holder just above the center when it is mounted. I am wondering if it
would be a good idea make a 1/4 or 3/8 inch plate for under the tool
post so the piston will hit the holder more in the center. Have any of
you done this?

Not I -- because I have the wedge style Phase-II series 200, not
the piston style. The wedge grips along the full height of the holder.

However -- the slots in the Series 200 holders are for 5/8" high
tool shanks, which is what I normally use (carbide insert tooling).

For 3/8" bit (which I consider too small for general use on this
machine, I would suggest some 1/4" thick stock below the tool, to bring
the edge up near the top of the slot.

Jacking the toolpost up will increase the lever moment, so it
will probably cause more flexibility in the mounting of the tools,
leading to a greater chance of chatter.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564