Roy

Default Reading a tape measure...again

Well when I worked with my dad as a youngin he had a couple of older
fellow working for him that could not read a rule (did not have tapes
back then, the 6 or 8 foot folding rule was king) and when they would
call off measurements it would be something like 17 and one big mark
and 2 smaller ones (equates to 17 5/8")

HAd yet another fellow that could go take a heap of measurements and
never write a thing down, then go back to what it was that had to be
cut to those measurements, and just lay out his rule, and start
marking off. As he marked each piece, he just left the rule in place
and added ther next dimension to what he had, and marke dit etc etc.
He never kept repositioning his rule at the end to get each length. He
could also tell you the total of all that he measured. It used to
amaze folks seeing him in action. Someone would be calling out
measurements, and he would just stand there. Never writing anything
down, then go cut them all.

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Tom

Tom Gardner wrote:

I only want 1/16" accuracy. Any thoughts?

Is that 1 or 2 little marks to the left side of the first big mark?? Or is it on
the other side of the big mark??

Tom

Tom

Tom Gardner wrote:

After 3 major measuring screw-ups this week I put 3 employees on notice that
they had one month to learn to read a tape measure or...else. They are 60,
55, and 45 years old.

My Grandfather owned a hardware store for years and ran a long line of
highschool part timers through.
He rests in peace proudly today knowing full well that my brother and I can both
read a tape measure and make change for $3.62 out of a $5 bill.

My father works in a livestock trailer factory today, he is one of only 2
people in the plant that they will let cut the aluminum stock, damn stuff is too
expensive for screwups.

Speaking of tape measures, how many times have you measured something in the
bandsaw with a tape and then got the "remove tape, turn on switch" instruction
backwards?? Come on......fess-upG

Tom

Gerald Miller

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:21:54 -0600, Tom
wrote:

Speaking of tape measures, how many times have you measured something in the
bandsaw with a tape and then got the "remove tape, turn on switch" instruction
backwards?? Come on......fess-upG

Tom

Never done that but one day while doing wall paneling and using the
clients step ladder on it's side as a cutting table, I did an "oops"
with the skill saw - didn't make much money that day after paying for
a new ladder, but I did end up with an odd size ladder. Or the time I
blew three teeth off the sabre saw blade before the saw stopped for
lack of electricity.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Gary Coffman

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:51:15 GMT, Gerald Miller wrote:
Never done that but one day while doing wall paneling and using the
clients step ladder on it's side as a cutting table, I did an "oops"
with the skill saw - didn't make much money that day after paying for
a new ladder, but I did end up with an odd size ladder. Or the time I
blew three teeth off the sabre saw blade before the saw stopped for
lack of electricity.

Shoot, I learned years ago how to make two 25 foot extension cords
out of one 50 footer with an electric hedge trimmer.

Gary
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:02:57 -0500, Gary Coffman
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:51:15 GMT, Gerald Miller wrote:
Never done that but one day while doing wall paneling and using the
clients step ladder on it's side as a cutting table, I did an "oops"
with the skill saw - didn't make much money that day after paying for
a new ladder, but I did end up with an odd size ladder. Or the time I
blew three teeth off the sabre saw blade before the saw stopped for
lack of electricity.

Shoot, I learned years ago how to make two 25 foot extension cords
out of one 50 footer with an electric hedge trimmer.

I learned how to do impromptu arc welding with a screwdriver and
power supply terminals once. I forgot to unplug the power cord and
the first lead jumped up at the screwdriver shaft as I started the
second leg. It blew a 50A breaker in a nice, bright arc and shut
down the entire engineering department. I was there to do QA
testing of some supplies. My eyesight came back after about 5
minutes but I was red for a month, for obvious reasons.

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com