Gunner

Default nk

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:03:25 GMT, Ignoramus21002
wrote:

People, I really need help here. If you answer, please make sure that
your reply is xposted to rec.crafts.metalworking.

I have this motorcycle engine and I urgently need to FIND WHERE THE
VIN NUMBER IS STAMPED ON IT. I looked kind of closely and couldnot
find anything.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/

Where should I look for VIN?

Thanks a lot. If you know anything about these engines, plz reply.

Sigh...there is seldom a VIN number on an engine. There will usually
be an engine serial number.

Vehicle Identification Number is just that. Some of the more commonly
stolen parts such as auto glass and what not may have either a serial
number, or a copy of the VIN number, but seldom if ever will a VIN
number be stamped on an engine. VINS are supposed to be linked to the
various serial numbers BY THE FACTORY.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:29:57 GMT, Ignoramus6607
wrote:

Thanks to all. I gave up. Called the detective and told him that there
is no VIN, just a serial number, and gave him that.

Which is what we've been trying (Over, and over, and over...) to
tell you. They put the VIN on the chassis, and the engine serial
number usually matches the production serial part of the VIN.

If the local detective knows anything about motorcycles he can
figure it out. If he can't, you have nothing to worry about anyway,
let HIM try to trace it back through FedEx.

I willl drag it to
my yard and will put it in the bushes for a couple of weeks, then I
will sell it. That POS is not worth much, I think, a couple of covers
are damaged by transit.

It's probably worth your trouble to advertise it locally, if you can
find someone with a good bike and a blown motor - he can drop it right
in his frame, swap off the two broken covers with the good ones off
his blown engine, fill the fluids and fire it up. Even if it isn't in
perfect shape, it'll be far better than one he has with a ventilated
crankcase and a rod sticking out...

(18 year olds love to think that an engine redline is just an
advisory number set way too low by the manufacturers to keep them out
of the fun part of the powerband. The lesson reinforcing that message
can be a very expensive learning experience.)

Or you find replacement end covers yourself, bench test the engine
to make sure it runs, rig up a heater core or two and a 12" electric
fan to serve as a radiator, and build a killer tire-smoking six-speed
Go-Kart around it for the kids - or for yourself. Yeeeeeeeehaw!!!

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
SteveB

I e mailed FedEx and asked them what their policy on return addresses were.
They sent me the following reply:

Start reply:

We received your inquiry. Thank you for contacting FedEx.

For every transaction, FedEx must have all the necessary information of the
shipper and recipient like a complete name, address and telephone number
before we can absolutely accept packages. For express packages, these
information must be indicated on the airbill but if packages were sent via
FedEx Ground or Home Delivery, these information will not be displayed on
the label but we have the records encoded in our database.

End reply.

I suggest that if you want to know about the shipment, that you contact
FedEx, and they will have all the information you require.

Steve

BobtheButcher

"SteveB" wrote in message
I suggest that if you want to know about the shipment, that you contact
FedEx, and they will have all the information you require.

I've actually been through this. FedEx and UPS will not disclose shipper
info to anyone but the shipper or to law enforcement. Recipients have no
right to this info according to them.

T3

BobtheButcher wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
I suggest that if you want to know about the shipment, that you contact
FedEx, and they will have all the information you require.

I've actually been through this. FedEx and UPS will not disclose shipper
info to anyone but the shipper or to law enforcement. Recipients have no
right to this info according to them.

Oh you have? Let me give you a little insight from a dood(dude, asshole,
or old guy) that's been accepting shipments for 35 years or so! First of
all, if there is no valid return address, or evidence of who actually
sent it, refuse delivery, period!!!!! You can do that in advance btw, if
not, believe me, FexEx, UPS, or whoever will be very forthcoming if you
hold their feet to the fire! They don't want to ship it back, Duh! That
is why your story is a little lame. To me, it sounds like you got
nervous and called the law thinking you could cover yourself, but guess
what? They already figured that out! As I said last night, be careful,
or find a dumpster!
Oh and by the way, remove RMR from your header, OK? Oh yeah, say Hi to
Bubba, he'll be the big dude right behind you that will be real happy to
"meat" you!

Buh-bye.....

Ken Sterling

I e mailed FedEx and asked them what their policy on return addresses were.
They sent me the following reply:

Start reply:

We received your inquiry. Thank you for contacting FedEx.

For every transaction, FedEx must have all the necessary information of the
shipper and recipient like a complete name, address and telephone number
before we can absolutely accept packages. For express packages, these
information must be indicated on the airbill but if packages were sent via
FedEx Ground or Home Delivery, these information will not be displayed on
the label but we have the records encoded in our database.

End reply.

I suggest that if you want to know about the shipment, that you contact
FedEx, and they will have all the information you require.

Steve

Teehee... I think if I were Iggy, I would file a damage claim to FedEx
for the damaged covers on the engine. (Damaged in shipment)
Then get the necessary parts to repair it, then sell it....
Ken.

Wudsracer

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:48:21 GMT, Ignoramus6607 wrote:

I am not really into go carts... I was already thinking how I could
use this engine. No useful uses came up. I would rather keep some
lub-dub engine that could keep on going forever. Like my Onan DJE.

Also, I do not have the carb, as far as I could tell.

I have other things that I need to fix, like that Sears generator that
I bought for $3 at a garage sale.

The Fed-Ex shipping label should have a tracking number on it.
This should allow you to track the package on line, and should also
allow Fed Ex to identify the shipment.

If you didn't order the shipment/engine, then I'll be that someone
is wondering where it is located. If you signed for the shipment, you
may eventually have to produce the shipment, if it was delivered to
the wrong address.

If you call Fed Ex and give them the tracking number, stating that
the shipment was dropped off (damaged) at your place by mistake, they
should respond and come take it off your hands.

Jim Cook

Smackover Racing
Gas Gas DE300
Team LAGNAF
www.smackovermotorsports.com
Chris Buckley

How about you quit cross posting this **** to unrelated news
groups?????
Wudsracer

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 05:39:49 GMT, Ignoramus6607
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:38:16 GMT, Wudsracer wrote:

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:48:21 GMT, Ignoramus6607 wrote:

I am not really into go carts... I was already thinking how I could
use this engine. No useful uses came up. I would rather keep some
lub-dub engine that could keep on going forever. Like my Onan DJE.

Also, I do not have the carb, as far as I could tell.

I have other things that I need to fix, like that Sears generator that
I bought for $3 at a garage sale.

The Fed-Ex shipping label should have a tracking number on it.
This should allow you to track the package on line, and should also
allow Fed Ex to identify the shipment.

Yea, except that there is no return address in the tracking info. Only
originating location. Really. I can email tracking info to some
trusted third party.

If you didn't order the shipment/engine, then I'll be that someone
is wondering where it is located. If you signed for the shipment, you
may eventually have to produce the shipment, if it was delivered to
the wrong address.

I was not home

If you call Fed Ex and give them the tracking number, stating that
the shipment was dropped off (damaged) at your place by mistake, they
should respond and come take it off your hands.

I did that. They did not care

Most likely, no one has made an inquiry about it yet.
If they do, someone will come knocking at your door, eventually.

Three times in the last two years, we have had shipments to customers
delivered to the wrong address, usually within a couple of blocks of
the correct address. One of these times, it was three weeks before the
customer called and asked where his stuff was. It was only then that
UPS started looking for it.
I insure every shipment coming out of our shop, for this reason as
much as for damage.

Jim Cook

Smackover Racing
Gas Gas DE300
Team LAGNAF
www.smackovermotorsports.com
Ken Sterling

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 00:59:12 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) Ken wrote:
[...]

no way they would pay for a shipment that was that poorly packed.

Hey, *they* accepted it for transport...If they thought that it was
poorly packaged, then they shouldn't have picked it up in the first
place. Secondly, there may have been an insurance rider on it from
the rightful owner - against shipping damage.
Ken.

The Real Bev

Ken Sterling wrote:

Hey, *they* accepted it for transport...If they thought that it was
poorly packaged, then they shouldn't have picked it up in the first
place. Secondly, there may have been an insurance rider on it from
the rightful owner - against shipping damage.

UPS didn't like the way we had packed a VCR for a warranty return so they gave
us a choice of going away and coming back with an acceptable package or letting
them pack it for an additional [annoying but not all that unreasonable given the
fact that we had to drive 20 miles to the UPS office] charge. They used that
foam-in packing/insulation stuff.

--
Cheers,
Bev
SteveB

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote

Hey, *they* accepted it for transport...If they thought that it was
poorly packaged, then they shouldn't have picked it up in the first
place. Secondly, there may have been an insurance rider on it from
the rightful owner - against shipping damage.
Ken.

I have shipped a lot of stuff on ebay. I have had damage claims. They do
inspect packages that have been damaged, but they do not really inspect them
when they accept them. They DO have the right to inspect the opened item
and see if it was packaged properly, and to deny the claim on those grounds.

Steve