SQLit

Default High price of 600 amp circuit breakers?

"Ignoramus5533" wrote in message
I came into possession of a few used 400-600A circuit breakers. Each
is the size of a milk jug. While researching prices on them and such
(they sell for $150-200 on ebay), I learned that some cost many
thousands of dollars new. I saw numbers from $2,500 and higher.

I am curious just what makes them so expensive. Do they have any
precious materials inside? Or what?

Bigger frame breakers have always cost a lot more. Larger frame breakers are
can be made to withstand larger fault currents. Interrupt larger current at
higher voltages.
I used to work for an OEM and we had some circuit breakers that were well
over $25000.00 (SPB series) "rebuilt". New more like $40k.

I have installed some medium voltage vacuum breakers that were well over
$100k each.

Unfortunately they are just so much boat anchor material unless you have a
need for one of them. They are not interchangeable.
There is a thriving market in rebuilding, testing and installing such
equipment.

SQLit

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:05:31 -0700, SQLit wrote:

"Ignoramus5533" wrote in message
I came into possession of a few used 400-600A circuit breakers. Each
is the size of a milk jug. While researching prices on them and such
(they sell for $150-200 on ebay), I learned that some cost many
thousands of dollars new. I saw numbers from $2,500 and higher.

I am curious just what makes them so expensive. Do they have any
precious materials inside? Or what?

Bigger frame breakers have always cost a lot more. Larger frame
breakers are can be made to withstand larger fault
currents. Interrupt larger current at higher voltages. I used to
work for an OEM and we had some circuit breakers that were well over
$25000.00 (SPB series) "rebuilt". New more like $40k.

I would understand that, for vacuum units.

I have installed some medium voltage vacuum breakers that were well over
$100k each.

Unfortunately they are just so much boat anchor material unless you
have a need for one of them. They are not interchangeable. There
is a thriving market in rebuilding, testing and installing such
equipment.

I am not sure about interchangeability. My 400-600 A breakers
(Siemens, ITE, Westinghouse etc) simply take 3 wires in and 3 wires
going out. They do not mount on special connector panels, like
residential breakers.

Those sound like the "universal or OEM" mounts. Almost everyone makes those
in some form.

SQLit

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:45:29 -0700, SQLit wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's right. I could screw them to any metal sheet, it seems. I
will double check tonight, they are still in my pickup.

Please check the mounts before mounting on a grounded surface. Some of these
breakers have to be put on glastic so the terminals will not arc.