John P.

Default Abrasive Blast Media Selection

I've been Googling all morning, but can't seem to find a good guide to
abrasive blast media. Does anyone know of a good resource?

For example, over at Eastwood they have a lot of different abrasives
to use when blasting
(http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...rID=243&KICKER)
But I'm not sure which to use and when.

Thanks,

John P.
Bob May

Basically hardness of the media equates to agressivnessness of the blasting.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Charles Spitzer

and size of the granule. i get different effects on my glass depending upon
size and hardness of blasting material, and air pressure.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

"Bob May" wrote in message
Basically hardness of the media equates to agressivnessness of the
blasting.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Don Foreman

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:33:36 -0500, John P. wrote:

I've been Googling all morning, but can't seem to find a good guide to
abrasive blast media. Does anyone know of a good resource?

For example, over at Eastwood they have a lot of different abrasives
to use when blasting
(http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...rID=243&KICKER)
But I'm not sure which to use and when.

Thanks,

John P.

Go to
http://www.tptools.com/

and search on "grit". You'll get a brief description of what each
of the various media are used for.
HotRod

Aluminium oxide is nice and as long as it's used at a lower psi you can
re-use it dozens of times. The blast shop I worked for only used three
different "sands" Aluminium oxide, Glass bead and walnut shell for "cast
parts" and to clean without a profile.

John P.

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:56:21 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Go to
http://www.tptools.com/

and search on "grit". You'll get a brief description of what each
of the various media are used for.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Don.

And thanks to all for the comments.

John

Abrasive balls & Silky smooth seats... Jay Pique Woodworking 5 March 25th 05 07:52 PM
Machinist's Handbook 26 as an e-Book keith bowers Metalworking 61 February 25th 05 05:28 PM
Attaching blast gates Phisherman Woodworking 8 September 3rd 04 10:17 AM
Sand blast question Bob Metalworking 17 August 27th 04 02:25 AM
OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM