Phisherman

Default Attaching blast gates

I have a cast aluminum blast gate and want to connect this to a
Powermatic 66 dust port. The diameters are the same and the blast
gate is slightly tapered. These are slightly less than 4" in diameter
and both ports have about 3/4" to fasten a connector of some kind.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a cast aluminum blast gate and want to connect this to a
Powermatic 66 dust port. The diameters are the same and the blast
gate is slightly tapered. These are slightly less than 4" in diameter
and both ports have about 3/4" to fasten a connector of some kind.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Duct tape?

You can use a short length of flex pipe that will fit over both, or a short
length of PVC drain pipe that also will fit over both and then screw or pop
rivet them.

Unisaw A100

Got a lathe? Attach a piece of something/anything to a face
plate (I prefer a screw center) and turn one side part way
through to one diameter. Flip it over and turn the other
side to the other diameter (nothing is exactly the same
diameter).

Be a wee bit more careful when you get within the last 64th.
of an inch at the middle.

Paint to match the machine or go for an aluminum finish by
gilding with some Reynold's Wrap.

UA100
Phisherman

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:45:57 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Got a lathe? Attach a piece of something/anything to a face
plate (I prefer a screw center) and turn one side part way
through to one diameter. Flip it over and turn the other
side to the other diameter (nothing is exactly the same
diameter).

Be a wee bit more careful when you get within the last 64th.
of an inch at the middle.

Paint to match the machine or go for an aluminum finish by
gilding with some Reynold's Wrap.

UA100

Great idea! Yes, I have a Conover lathe, plenty of scrap wood pieces,
a few face plates, and a can of aluminum paint. This should make a
sturdy and tight connection, exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Nova

Phisherman wrote:

I have a cast aluminum blast gate and want to connect this to a
Powermatic 66 dust port. The diameters are the same and the blast
gate is slightly tapered. These are slightly less than 4" in diameter
and both ports have about 3/4" to fasten a connector of some kind.
Any ideas? Thanks.

A short piece of 4" D Schedule 40, a couple of sheet metal screws and some
"Duct Seal".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Bob

Take a piece of 4" Sewer and Drain PVC pipe, perhaps 6" long. Use a
thin hand saw to cut slots about 1" long at each end of the pipe,
perpendicular to the length of the pipe. Space the slots equally so
there are 8 slots on each end. You can now use a 4 1/2" band clamp on
each end to clamp it to the port and blast gate respectively.

I use a Japanese razor crosscut saw to cut the slots. Be sure you use
the flat stainless band clamp, not the crappy wire type clamp some wood
supplies sell. Lowe's and Home depot sell the flat band clamps.

Don't use any duct tape or other type of tape. It will creep and slip
over time.

Bob

Bob

"perpendicular to the length of the pipe..."

Sorry my description was incorrect. The slots are parallel to the
length of the pipe (perpendicular to the end of the pipe).

Bob

Phisherman

wrote:

Got a lathe? Attach a piece of something/anything to a face
plate (I prefer a screw center) and turn one side part way
through to one diameter. Flip it over and turn the other
side to the other diameter (nothing is exactly the same
diameter).

Be a wee bit more careful when you get within the last 64th.
of an inch at the middle.

Paint to match the machine or go for an aluminum finish by
gilding with some Reynold's Wrap.

UA100

I used a scrap piece of 2x6 pine mounted on a faceplate and turned it
today just as suggested. The first turning was to fit the PM66 dust
port. I drilled a pilot through the three mounting holes of the
faceplate to get the same center on the other side of the 2x6. Then I
turned the blast gate side. It fits great! I spray painted it with
some aluminum paint to match the blast gate, and tomorrow I'll fit it
together and seal with some silicon cement. Thanks!

Unisaw A100

I used a scrap piece of 2x6 pine mounted on a faceplate and turned it
today just as suggested. The first turning was to fit the PM66 dust
port. I drilled a pilot through the three mounting holes of the
faceplate to get the same center on the other side of the 2x6. Then I
turned the blast gate side. It fits great! I spray painted it with
some aluminum paint to match the blast gate, and tomorrow I'll fit it
together and seal with some silicon cement. Thanks!

I got to thinking about this and was wondering, cocobolo
with the aluminum paint? :-)

Nice thing about the lathe is you can sneak up on the
opening at the pipe side for a friction fit.

UA100

Sand blast question Bob Metalworking 17 August 27th 04 02:25 AM
multiple blast gates on one drop Jim Woodworking 4 August 16th 04 04:01 PM
Position of blast gates Jonathan Oman Woodworking 7 July 27th 04 03:35 PM
dust collector remote controll - cheap, and you can't lose it jduprie Woodworking 9 December 31st 03 12:24 PM
OT- Bill Gates Speech Marv Soloff Metalworking 12 December 22nd 03 12:19 PM