Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Karl Townsend

Default wiring a three phase motor

I'm hooking up the hydraulic oil pump on my CNC lathe. Its a standard 9 wire
motor so it can be wired 220 or 440 three phase. My trouble is that the IDs
on the wire leads are almost unreadable and I'm not sure I have it connected
correctly. Especially sense I have U1, U2, U3 and V1, V2 , V3 - can't tell a
U from a V.

Will I smoke the motor if I have a lead switched? Or will the motor just hum
with no damage? Are there any tests I can do with a multimeter to check
before giving it the juice?

Also, after it runs, how do I check for correct rotation direction. Just
leave a hose open and wait for the oil to squirt?

Karl