Grant Erwin

Default wiring a three phase motor

If I were you I'd make 9 legible labels, printing them on label tape.
Then I'd go after that sucker with a connectivity tester, knowing the
standard 9-points-on-a-spiral diagram. Clean the existing labels as
best you can and use strong light and magnifying lenses. Figure out
what the labels are using your brain and the measured connectivity
data and the labels you can discern, and then relabel them properly.
If the wires are in bad shape, consider sleeving them with heat shrink
and/or extending them.

With all wires disconnected:

1 should be connected to 4
2 should be connected to 5
3 should be connected to 6
7 should be connected to 8 which should be connected to 9

440: connect 4-7, 5-8, 6-9 power to 1,2,3
220: connect 1-7, 2-8, 3-9, 4-5-6, power to 1/7,2/8,3/9

Here's some ASCII art:

1
/
\
/
\
4

7
/
\
/
\
-*-
| |
- -
| |
9 8

6 5
- -
| |
- -
| |
3 2

Once you have it running, run it briefly to see if you have fluid, and if
not, reverse any 2 power connections and try again.

Easier to do than to describe, but still a bit tedious.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm hooking up the hydraulic oil pump on my CNC lathe. Its a standard 9 wire
motor so it can be wired 220 or 440 three phase. My trouble is that the IDs
on the wire leads are almost unreadable and I'm not sure I have it connected
correctly. Especially sense I have U1, U2, U3 and V1, V2 , V3 - can't tell a
U from a V.

Will I smoke the motor if I have a lead switched? Or will the motor just hum
with no damage? Are there any tests I can do with a multimeter to check
before giving it the juice?

Also, after it runs, how do I check for correct rotation direction. Just
leave a hose open and wait for the oil to squirt?

Karl