JB

Default Thoughts on Colchester 6535 Lathe?

Hi Gang,

I have been asking a lot of questions over the past few days as I try to
figure out what lathe works best for me. I asked about Lagun lathes, now I
would like your opinions on a Colchester Model 6535 15"x50" Lathe. I took a
look at one today and the bed, apron, ways and geared head were in superb
condition. The only thing I did not like is the way the chuck mounts onto
the spindle. It is not a D1 Mount.

I am amazed at the difference in opinions expressed by members of the group
as well as machinery dealers and machinists. I was speaking with a very
nice machinery dealer who told me to stay away from the round head/bullet
head Colchester's because parts were absolutely impossible to get. Another
dealer said they were not one of his favorites either. Then, a well known
machinery rebuild with an impeccable reputation advised that the lathe I was
looking at was in excellent shape and thinks it is an outstanding lathe.

I inspected it today and I must say that physically it is in fine shape.
Close to zero backlash on the apron and crossfeed and the head was quiet
when running. I opened the head and the gears are perfect with no broken
teeth. There was oil in the apron and head which was clean and the sight
glasses were clean.

The asking price is $2500 which includes an Aloris CXA tool post and one
holder, a 10" three jaw buck chuck, a 10" 4 jaw buck chuck, follow rest, 5C
collet Closer (lever style), Drive plate and a set of 5c Collets.

My sincerest thanks.

Joe...

DoN. Nichols

According to JB :
Hi Gang,

I have been asking a lot of questions over the past few days as I try to
figure out what lathe works best for me. I asked about Lagun lathes, now I
would like your opinions on a Colchester Model 6535 15"x50" Lathe. I took a
look at one today and the bed, apron, ways and geared head were in superb
condition. The only thing I did not like is the way the chuck mounts onto
the spindle. It is not a D1 Mount.

O.K. What mount *is* it? If it something like a L-00 or L-0,
those are excellent choices as well. Threaded noses are a different
matter, as they are awkward in reverse cutting. The L-00 and L-0 have a
long taper (thus the 'L'), with a big fat key to prevent rotation, and
the back of the chuck has a male thread on it surrounding the taper
which is locked down by a threaded collar.

I've got the L-00 taper on my 12x24" Clausing, and am quite
pleased with that. I changed the spindle out to get rid of a 2-1/4x8
threaded spindle.

The machine sounds like a wonderful machine to me. I'll bet
that it has already been sold by the time you get this. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
JB

Hi Don,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It does have the L-0 or L-00 that you
described. It comes with a big ass wrench to tighten and remove the chuck.
After getting advice from you and Gunner I will be able to make a better
educated decision. Hopefully it will still be available if I decide to buy
it.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe