DoN. Nichols

Default Thoughts on Colchester 6535 Lathe?

According to JB :
Hi Gang,

I have been asking a lot of questions over the past few days as I try to
figure out what lathe works best for me. I asked about Lagun lathes, now I
would like your opinions on a Colchester Model 6535 15"x50" Lathe. I took a
look at one today and the bed, apron, ways and geared head were in superb
condition. The only thing I did not like is the way the chuck mounts onto
the spindle. It is not a D1 Mount.

O.K. What mount *is* it? If it something like a L-00 or L-0,
those are excellent choices as well. Threaded noses are a different
matter, as they are awkward in reverse cutting. The L-00 and L-0 have a
long taper (thus the 'L'), with a big fat key to prevent rotation, and
the back of the chuck has a male thread on it surrounding the taper
which is locked down by a threaded collar.

I've got the L-00 taper on my 12x24" Clausing, and am quite
pleased with that. I changed the spindle out to get rid of a 2-1/4x8
threaded spindle.

The machine sounds like a wonderful machine to me. I'll bet
that it has already been sold by the time you get this. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564