Steve Smith

Default Gear wear on my lathe

Some day I'll figure out how email works..
----------------
Don, this would be a great plan except that the two twin gears have
differing number of teeth. The left one is 32, the right 28.

This threw me at first, but the gearing works out the same.

Thanks,
Steve

DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

"Steve Smith" wrote in message

I clearly need to replace some gears on my lathe, the question is how
many? There are four gears showing signs of wear, one of them really
bad. Replacing all four gets pretty expensive. The lathe is a 14 1/2"
Southbend.

[ ... ]

Unless you're loading those gears heavily, I'd run them and not worry about
it. I would imagine it has taken years for them to wear to the point shown,
and were probably run far more then than you use them now. You could
conceivably have years of service left.

I would in general agree, except that there is one simple (and
cost-free) step to postpone the day of needed replacement for quite a
while.

Note that of the twin gears, the one which is badly worn is the
one which is *always* in mesh with the "cone pinion", and transmitting
motion to the rest of the gear train, either directly, or (when in
reverse feed) through the second gear of the pair.

What I would consider doing is to interchange the two gears of
that pair, which would put the most subsequent wear on the relatively
un-worn one of the pair, and transmit power though the more worn one
only during reverse feeds or LH threading.

And -- make sure to keep them well lubed, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 08:43 PM
Gear wear on my lathe Steve Smith Metalworking 8 October 8th 05 06:03 AM
Craftsman 101.07403 12" Lathe Terry G Metalworking 2 March 16th 04 09:17 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM