R.H.

Default What is it? LXXXII

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#472: profile gauge??
#473: the end of a fluorescent tube
#474: a type of needle scaler?
#475: hole saw.
#476: can opener? hose cutter?
#477: another descaler?
DeepDiver

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

472. Heavy-duty toothbrush head for scrubbing Cliff's foul mouth out with
soap.

473. High-voltage probes for Cliff's electro-shock psycho-therapy.

474. Mini-roto-rooter for clearing the detritus out from the hollow between
Cliff's ears.

475. A screw-pull for extracting Cliff's head from his arse.

476. A tool for prying open Cliff's eye lids so that he might one day see
reality.

477. A spanking paddle to be applied to Cliff's backside each and every time
he spams these newsgroups.

Norman D. Crow

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#472: profile gauge??
#473: the end of a fluorescent tube
#474: a type of needle scaler?
#475: hole saw.
#476: can opener? hose cutter?
#477: another descaler?

476 Can opener
477 Carding tool. Believe used in the process of making wool into thread
or yarn.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Norman D. Crow

R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#472: profile gauge??
#473: the end of a fluorescent tube
#474: a type of needle scaler?
#475: hole saw.
#476: can opener? hose cutter?
#477: another descaler?

477 Or maybe making flax into linen.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Barbara Bailey

#476: can opener
#477: I think it's a comb for flax or hemp fiber, used prior ro
spinning. The needles are too long and too coarse and the head is too
small for it to be for wool.

Barbara
Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

472. Set of pins for measuring hole diameters.
473. The end of the light at the tunnel.
474. Stirrer.
475. Makes holes (perhaps in barrels).
476. Tool used to cut off lengths of wooden dowels.
477. Card used in spinning.

Carl G.

Mark and Kim Smith

Norman D. Crow wrote:

snip

477 Carding tool. Believe used in the process of making wool into thread
or yarn.

I sure hope it isn't for combing hair!!!
Steve W.

472 - Alignment block?

473 - Looks like the connection on an electric skillet

474 - Reaming tool for pipe?

475 - Bung tool for wooden casks

476 - Looks like a can opener but I'm not sure it is. The lower piece
appears to swivel?

477 - Flax breaker. Used like a wool card to break the flax into useable
fibers prior to carding.

--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

472) Hmm ... it looks like a variation on a magnetic parallel
for holding things higher than the surface of the magnetic chuck
on a surface grinder.

Most that I have seen had the aluminum (or brass or bronze) body
the full height of the magnetically soft (mild steel) pole
pieces. In any case, they transfer the magnetic poles of the
chuck to the higher level. (There are also V-blocks made
similarly.)

Others are alternating plates of brass and steel, riveted
together by brass rods.

I would guess that "J. BRACKEN" is the name of the person who
made this as part of his apprenticeship program.

473) contact pins and shell end of a fluorescent lamp tube.

474) I think that this is an internal remote grabber. It probably
has a spring loaded plunger which expands the fingers unless
the plunger is depressed from the other end, allowing it to be
inserted into the object being grabbed, or to release said
object.

475) A trepaning wood bit. The screw tip at the center pulls
it into the wood workpiece, and the outside legs cut a circular
groove until it falls through the workpiece. It is limited as
to how deep it will make a hole, simply because it does not have
the sharp edges between the center screw and the outer cutters
of a typical auger bit to shave wood out of the center of the
hole, so the cross-pieces will eventually hit and prevent any
farther progress.

However, the lack of those center cutters will reduce the amount
of torque which the operator will need to apply to the handles.

476) This looks like yet another variety of can opener.

477) A "card" for wool, perhaps? Designed to straighten out the
fibers prior to spining, and to make it easier to separate
from the dirt which comes with the sheep.

Now -- to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

#472: Looks like a steel plug gauge set

#473: Receptacle for small appliance recharger or electrical connection.
Maybe for an electric razor

#474: Light bulb changer

#475: looks to be some sort of boring tool. Would probably make a pretty
nasty edge

#476: No idea

#477: Wool card

TomH

wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

r.w

474 is a fishing spear or 'sling'

--
TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]
R.H.

Five of the six have been identified:

472. One of a pair of magnetic parallels

473. The end of a fluorescent light

474. No correct answers yet, closest guess so far is pipe reamer

475. Boring tool for a barrel

476. Can opener, this one works differently than most, with the small
forked piece going on top of the rim and the blade cutting up from the side

477. Flax tool

Rob

William Wixon

well, it looks old and pitted with rust, so it looks like an OLD tool. i
can't tell if the ends of the wires have barbs on 'em. how about scraping
the built up crud off the tubes in a steam engine heat exchanger? (i don't
even know if the tubes in steam engine heat exchangers get cruddy, just a
wild guess.) maybe you can screw on extensions to make it longer for
engines like the "BIG BOY". :-)
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

b.w.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Five of the six have been identified:

472. One of a pair of magnetic parallels

473. The end of a fluorescent light

474. No correct answers yet, closest guess so far is pipe reamer

475. Boring tool for a barrel

476. Can opener, this one works differently than most, with the small
forked piece going on top of the rim and the blade cutting up from the
side

477. Flax tool

Rob

William Wixon

oops. i meant "number 474..." and "...off the INSIDE of the tubes in a
steam engine...." did/do heat exchanger tubes in a steam engine get cruddy?
or i guess maybe even a stationary boiler.

i went to china in 1986 and they were still using steam engines there. it
was marvelous to ride through the terraced hills of china on a fire
breathing dragon. i WISH i had the presence of mind to have begged or
bribed a ride in the engine!!! one night i stayed in a hotel near a train
yard and it was wonderful to hear a steam engine starting up with a heavy
load ("CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF") then the drive wheels breaking loose
("chuffchuffchuffchuffchuff") and the engineer cutting the power and
starting up again ("CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF") was wonderful. like time travel.

b.w.

"William Wixon" wrote in message
well, it looks old and pitted with rust, so it looks like an OLD tool. i
can't tell if the ends of the wires have barbs on 'em. how about scraping
the built up crud off the tubes in a steam engine heat exchanger? (i
don't even know if the tubes in steam engine heat exchangers get cruddy,
just a wild guess.) maybe you can screw on extensions to make it longer
for engines like the "BIG BOY". :-)
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

b.w.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Five of the six have been identified:

472. One of a pair of magnetic parallels

473. The end of a fluorescent light

474. No correct answers yet, closest guess so far is pipe reamer

475. Boring tool for a barrel

476. Can opener, this one works differently than most, with the small
forked piece going on top of the rim and the blade cutting up from the
side

477. Flax tool

Rob

R.H.

"William Wixon" wrote in message
oops. i meant "number 474..." and "...off the INSIDE of the tubes in a
steam engine...." did/do heat exchanger tubes in a steam engine get

cruddy?
or i guess maybe even a stationary boiler.

Nope, not for steam engines. Also it wasn't made to have extensions added
to it.

i went to china in 1986 and they were still using steam engines there. it
was marvelous to ride through the terraced hills of china on a fire
breathing dragon. i WISH i had the presence of mind to have begged or
bribed a ride in the engine!!! one night i stayed in a hotel near a train
yard and it was wonderful to hear a steam engine starting up with a heavy
load ("CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF") then the drive wheels breaking loose
("chuffchuffchuffchuffchuff") and the engineer cutting the power and
starting up again ("CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF") was wonderful. like time

travel.

Sounds like fun.

Rob

Nick Müller

William Wixon wrote:

i went to china in 1986 and they were still using steam engines there.

I recently saw a report in TV. They still use steam locos and you can
drive them (at extra cost). There's a company (in Germany) offering such
travels. I bet you could find someone in the US too who will be happy to
send to to China as a coal monkey. ;-)

Nick

--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#472: profile gauge??
#473: the end of a fluorescent tube
#474: a type of needle scaler?
#475: hole saw.
#476: can opener? hose cutter?
#477: another descaler?

476 Can opener
477 Carding tool. Believe used in the process of making wool into thread
or yarn.

No, it's a wool comb, not a card. Used for aligning the wool fibers
for making worsted yarn (the smooth stuff) instead of woolen yarn
(the fuzzy stuff you're more used to). Cards do the woolen thing.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
Norman D. Crow

"Michael Houghton" wrote in message
Howdy!

R.H. wrote:

Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#472: profile gauge??
#473: the end of a fluorescent tube
#474: a type of needle scaler?
#475: hole saw.
#476: can opener? hose cutter?
#477: another descaler?

476 Can opener
477 Carding tool. Believe used in the process of making wool into
thread
or yarn.

No, it's a wool comb, not a card. Used for aligning the wool fibers
for making worsted yarn (the smooth stuff) instead of woolen yarn
(the fuzzy stuff you're more used to). Cards do the woolen thing.

Well, at least I was in the right church, just hadn't found the right pew
yet.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Michael Houghton

Howdy!

Norman D. Crow wrote:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

[snip]

476 Can opener
477 Carding tool. Believe used in the process of making wool into
thread
or yarn.

No, it's a wool comb, not a card. Used for aligning the wool fibers
for making worsted yarn (the smooth stuff) instead of woolen yarn
(the fuzzy stuff you're more used to). Cards do the woolen thing.

Well, at least I was in the right church, just hadn't found the right pew
yet.

Yep...I'm a bit of a fiber geek, so I'm picky about it...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/

R.H.

No, it's a wool comb, not a card. Used for aligning the wool fibers
for making worsted yarn (the smooth stuff) instead of woolen yarn
(the fuzzy stuff you're more used to). Cards do the woolen thing.

Well, at least I was in the right church, just hadn't found the right pew
yet.

Yep...I'm a bit of a fiber geek, so I'm picky about it...

I found quite a few flax tools that look much like this one, do you know if
there is a difference between wool and flax combs?

Rob

William Wixon

"474. gun cleaner" holy sh!t! must be a BIG gun huh?

b.w.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Another set has been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

DoN. Nichols

According to William Wixon :
"474. gun cleaner" holy sh!t! must be a BIG gun huh?

If that is for cleaning the bore of a gun, it must be a
smoothbore of some form, not a rifled bore. Either a smoothbore
muzzle-loader, or perhaps a shotgun.

It certainly does not seem correct for a rifled barrel.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
woodworker88

#472 are a set of transfer punches. Used for aligning given sizes of
holes in different workpieces.

Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

No, it's a wool comb, not a card. Used for aligning the wool fibers
for making worsted yarn (the smooth stuff) instead of woolen yarn
(the fuzzy stuff you're more used to). Cards do the woolen thing.

Well, at least I was in the right church, just hadn't found the right pew
yet.

Yep...I'm a bit of a fiber geek, so I'm picky about it...

I found quite a few flax tools that look much like this one, do you know if
there is a difference between wool and flax combs?

It might be a flax tool. It isn't a card, though.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/

Rich Grise

#472 are a set of transfer punches. Used for aligning given sizes of
holes in different workpieces.

No, it's clearly not a set of transfer punches, or gage pins - if it
were either of these, the pins wouldn't all be the same size.

I think the answer to this one has been given - it's a thing that
you set on top of the magnetic holding plate of a surface grinder.

Thanks,
Rich