Old & in the way....

Default "emergency V-belts" for machine tools?

I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
replaced. To change out the belt requires dissembling the machine which is a
hassle. I am wondering if any one has used one of those "emergency V-belt"
that are offered in some auto parts catalogues for roadside repairs. These
belts appear to be built in segments that are removable so as to size for
proper fit so disassembly of the machine (an Atlas 6" lathe and an old
Craftsman combo belt/disc sander) is not necessary. I am thinking that the
low HP of the machine tools relative to their auto use would make this an ok
option.

Any one running such belts on their tools? What sort of experience have you
had?

Thanks, brian

Mark

Use linkbelt. Grizzly have them in reasonable lengths, 3/8 and 1/2
inch. Work a lot better than panty hose or emergency belts.
Work a lot better than the originals, too. / mark

Old & in the way.... wrote:

I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
replaced. To change out the belt requires dissembling the machine which is a
hassle. I am wondering if any one has used one of those "emergency V-belt"
that are offered in some auto parts catalogues for roadside repairs. These
belts appear to be built in segments that are removable so as to size for
proper fit so disassembly of the machine (an Atlas 6" lathe and an old
Craftsman combo belt/disc sander) is not necessary. I am thinking that the
low HP of the machine tools relative to their auto use would make this an ok
option.

Any one running such belts on their tools? What sort of experience have you
had?

Thanks, brian

Rex B

Probably similar to the red segmented belts offered by HF, Grizzly and
others. Everyone who has used one prefers them to the regular betls,
both for convenience and for making the machine run more smoothly.

So buy one and try it.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Old & in the way.... wrote:
I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
replaced. To change out the belt requires dissembling the machine which is a
hassle. I am wondering if any one has used one of those "emergency V-belt"
that are offered in some auto parts catalogues for roadside repairs. These
belts appear to be built in segments that are removable so as to size for
proper fit so disassembly of the machine (an Atlas 6" lathe and an old
Craftsman combo belt/disc sander) is not necessary. I am thinking that the
low HP of the machine tools relative to their auto use would make this an ok
option.

Any one running such belts on their tools? What sort of experience have you
had?

Thanks, brian

Leo Lichtman

"Old & in the way...." wrote: (clip) Any one running such belts on their
tools? What sort of experience have you had?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They work great! I have found the following advantages:
1.) Belt replacement without machine disassembly.
2.) They don't take a set when the machine is not running, so on startup,
they have no vibration.
3.) If a belt breaks, you can replace a few links, assuming the rest of the
belt is not worn out.
4.) For conventional V-belts, length increments are 1". Increments in the
link belts are 1/2". (Usually doesn't matter, but there are cases where it
does.)

F. George McDuffee

We have accumulated about 20 hours of operation on a j-head
Bridgeport with an emergency belt with good results. This is the
kind that looks like a normal v-belt [black] but has holes
punched every 1/2-inch and is jointed by two metal plates. The
link style belts can be harder to get but were available from
Harbor Freight for 20$US. I don't have direct experience with
these but the old timers suggest these are better than the black
v-belt because of less vibration.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:49:42 -0700, "Old & in the way...."
wrote:

I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
replaced. To change out the belt requires dissembling the machine which is a
hassle. I am wondering if any one has used one of those "emergency V-belt"
that are offered in some auto parts catalogues for roadside repairs. These
belts appear to be built in segments that are removable so as to size for
proper fit so disassembly of the machine (an Atlas 6" lathe and an old
Craftsman combo belt/disc sander) is not necessary. I am thinking that the
low HP of the machine tools relative to their auto use would make this an ok
option.

Any one running such belts on their tools? What sort of experience have you
had?

Thanks, brian

Old & in the way....

Thanks guys, I was hoping for as much.

brian

Steve W.

"Old & in the way...." wrote in message
[...]

The red link belts were actually standard equipment on some 16-18 hp
Power King/Economy tractors. They were used on the hydraulic pumps and
for the starter generator.

Gunner

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:22:04 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

[...]

Link belts are often standard equipment on some of the finest Swiss
Screw machines..machines that must be vibration free as they often are
required to turn to 50 Millionths

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner