Proctologically Violated©®

Default Colchester gear: $800!!!!!!

Awl--

My buddy's 13x40 Clausing-Colchester wore itself out, needed a gear in the
front carriage power feed ditty.
Yeah, Clausing wants $800 for one gear, about 3.5" diam, 54 tooth.
Goodgawd....

Dare I say it--but another gigantic PV??

Fortunately, my buddy makes gears, so this wasn't the biggest deal in the
world--he could make 40 for $800!

How he did it is pretty neat. Not having any cast iron to match the gear
material, he bought an oversized gear from a local power place, turned off
the teeth, redid the ID, and cut the teeth.

Ackshooly not hard iffin yer familiar w/ gear cutting indexers, at least for
non-exotic stuff. Pretty tricky, otherwise. Can also do them in a 4th axis
in a VMC, much more straightforward.

But for people not set up to cut gears, that is one whopping bill--never
mind the labor involved in the tear-down/rebuild, etc.

All this sorta makes me nervous about running my machines....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Vince Iorio

Cincinnati Milacron wanted $6600 for 2 gears to do metric threading on
my Cincinnati Tray-Top lathe. And only $20 for the metric plate for the
QC box.

Vince

P.S. I still can not to metric threading

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
[...]

A ratio of 80/63 is SO close to 1.27 it is within .015 percent.
If you want to do the ratio with other gears, you nead a 20, 21 and 4
to 3 tooth combination of gears for compound gearing. You might be
able to find a 21 tooth gear cheaper than a 127 tooth gear. The others
needed for the 80/63 ratio should be common, or will factor out once
you look at your quick change gear ratios. IOW if you already have a 21
tooth gear, you might easily be able to make up a gear train that will
do the metric threads you want.

I didn't spoon feed the exact combination of gears to use, since I
don't know which threads you are shooting for, or how you lathe is set
up, or what gears you own. But I did toss out an idea about how to do
metric threading without needing a 127 tooth gear.

Another combination that is not as close, uses a 47/37 ratio. That
combination comes out within .027% but does not factor out to smaller
gears than a 47 tooth.
Pete

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Vince Iorio" wrote in message
Cincinnati Milacron wanted $6600 for 2 gears to do metric threading on
my Cincinnati Tray-Top lathe. And only $20 for the metric plate for the
QC box.

Vince

Do you have a mill? Index head or rotary table? If so, what's preventing
you from making the gears you need for the Tray-Top?? Using a similar
gear as a template, hand grind a HSS toolbit with the proper tooth form and
have at it. The gears can be generated a tooth at a time, with a fly
cutter. It's slow, but a very rewarding experience. You could make the
gear(s) from free machining brass if necessary, then invest in the $20
metric plate for the box.

You likely understand that your tool would represent a tooth, and it would
form the mating sides of the teeth in the gear you'd generate. The tool
would, therefore, look like a gear tooth as viewed from the side. A little
tough to hand grind, but very possible to do. Been there, done that.
Didn't get the T shirt, though.

Harold

Proctologically Violated©®

"Rewarding experience" is not the phrase I'd use--"sorta inneresting big
pita" might be more apt.

But goddamm, $6600 takes the cake!! wow....

If Vince wants to sleuth this out himself, I'm sure the good people here
would be a big help.
If he'd rather my buddy make him a gear (or anyone else) on the cheap, email
me and I'll set it up. You'll need to provide accurate
dimensions/tolerances, or a print, or a sample--or, in some cases, a piece
of a sample. g.

Rather than grinding a tool bit, you're better off buying a gear cutter,
with the right profile. But you'll need the gear indexer ditty on your BP,
which is not cheap, either.
Ahm no 'spert, but Boston Gear is the MSC of this sort of stuff.

Sounds like the makings of a half-decent bidniss, making ones-ies/two-sies
of busted gears for older machines.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

[...]

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:52:01 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

[...]

Start off with brass replacementss for all those zinc/Zemac gears from
109 and Atlas lathes that have been rotting away.

GUnner

Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

[...]

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jon Anderson

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Sounds like the makings of a half-decent bidniss, making ones-ies/two-sies
of busted gears for older machines.

I'm starting to think along these lines. Haven't been able to find brush
holders for a huge old B&D 1/2" drill, so I drew it up in CAD and am
programming it now. Think I'll make a dozen sets and see if anyone else
can use some. From one-off to short runs, there's probably some money to
be made keeping good old tools from being recycled into cheapo new
trinket tools...

Jon
David R. Birch

[...]

I don't know how much they quote for this work, but are either EDM or waterjet
practical for making onesie/ twosies gears?

David
Christopher Tidy

David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

From what I've seen of waterjet machines, I doubt they'd be accurate
enough. Although they're much more accurate than oxyacetylene, the jet
diverges as it passes through the material, so you end up with a sloping
edge. This was a few years ago, though - they might be better now.

Chris

daniel peterman

Seems like waterjet would be ideal for short runs of gears since they
are basically flat. Here's a crazy idea... How about cutting the change
gears from phenolic using a laser. Would they be tough enough?
On modern CNC equipment would they just make a single gear when one is
ordered or run a batch of say, 6, and save the rest for future orders?
Not much material in a gear so they wouldn't take up much space to store
in case another order came in next week. I would never make just one of
anything if making more only used another 3 bucks worth of material and
10 bucks labor.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
snip---

Rather than grinding a tool bit, you're better off buying a gear cutter,
with the right profile.

All depends on how damned cheap you are. I'm so tight fisted I squeak when
I walk. :-) You're right, of course, but not everyone wants to invest in
task specific tooling. This is an easy way out.

I'm one of those lucky *******s that can hand grind toolbits that work. Not
too long ago I hand ground one for a spur gear--inspecting it with my trusty
comparator. It was symmetrical within a thou----which pleased me no end.
Gear turned out fine, although the idea sucked, so the entire project was
for no good reason.

Doing things like hand grinding difficult forms is what keeps your skills
up. I've always taken great pride in my ability.

Harold

Proctologically Violated©®

Tight-fisted and/or broke-assed!! dammmmm....

My in-ability to grind **** is almost equally impressive--in a perverse way,
I could be proud of it as well, as it makes the fact that I get anything
done at all somewhat of a miracle.

Quick Q on tool grinding, in particular lathe bits:
Is a Dremel an instrumental part of bit grinding? I've seen some nice bits
with chip breakers, grooves, reliefs, that look like they could not have
been done on a standard wheel, but I've never actually seen anyone make
these.

Also, I've seen custom lathe bits so perfect, no grind marks, it looks like
they couldn't have been done by hand. EDM? some other way? We inherited a
box-ful of these, and it's almost a shame to now scuzzy them up with our
primitive alterations.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

[...]

Ken Cutt

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
[...]

A person need not be cheap to tackle this . Being held up for ransom is
reason enough for me to tackle some things . That and a stubborn streak
I can rely on to get me to the end of the tough jobs . Never cut a gear
but I sure would be learning before handing that amount over , yikes .
Ken Cutt
Vince Iorio

I wanted to do metric threading to do a "free" job for a friend. I do
have plans to make the two gears one day, but first I need to make a 127
hole indexing plate for my dividing head. And I might even have to make
a raiser block for the indexing head).

Has anyone ever noticed that one simple project is actually a series of
increasing difficult ones?

Vince

[...]

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:37:24 -0400, Vince Iorio
wrote:

I wanted to do metric threading to do a "free" job for a friend. I do
have plans to make the two gears one day, but first I need to make a 127
hole indexing plate for my dividing head. And I might even have to make
a raiser block for the indexing head).

Has anyone ever noticed that one simple project is actually a series of
increasing difficult ones?

Vince

Thats Cornells Law.

Gunner

[...]

Artemia Salina

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:37:24 -0400, Vince Iorio wrote:

Has anyone ever noticed that one simple project is actually a series of
increasing difficult ones?

CTRS - Cascading Tool Requirement Syndrome.

It's not as bad as RCTRS - Recursive Cascading Tool Requirement Syndrome,
where tool "A" is needed to make tool "B", but tool "B" is needed to make
the tool "A".

F. George McDuffee

There is another way to do this. there are several sets of gears
within the normal range of the dividing heads that will give a
very close approximation of 1.27:1 which are close enough for
reasonable length threads. I can dig this out if you are
interested.

wrote:

[...]

Vince Iorio

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Vince Iorio" wrote in message

Cincinnati Milacron wanted $6600 for 2 gears to do metric threading on
my Cincinnati Tray-Top lathe. And only $20 for the metric plate for the
QC box.

Vince

Do you have a mill?

Yes

Index head or rotary table?

Yes

If so, what's preventing you from making the gears you need for the
Tray-Top??

Time

I am of the mind set that I can do almost anything in my shop, but I am
always a little short on time.

Using a similar
gear as a template, hand grind a HSS toolbit with the proper tooth form and
have at it. The gears can be generated a tooth at a time, with a fly
cutter. It's slow, but a very rewarding experience. You could make the
gear(s) from free machining brass if necessary, then invest in the $20
metric plate for the box.

You likely understand that your tool would represent a tooth, and it would
form the mating sides of the teeth in the gear you'd generate. The tool
would, therefore, look like a gear tooth as viewed from the side. A little
tough to hand grind, but very possible to do. Been there, done that.
Didn't get the T shirt, though.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Vince Iorio" wrote in message

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Vince Iorio" wrote in message

Cincinnati Milacron wanted $6600 for 2 gears to do metric threading on
my Cincinnati Tray-Top lathe. And only $20 for the metric plate for the
QC box.

Vince

Do you have a mill?

Yes

Index head or rotary table?

Yes

If so, what's preventing you from making the gears you need for the
Tray-Top??

Time

Understood! :-)

And if you think it's slipping away quickly now, wait until you retire.

Harold

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:06:28 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

[...]

For $800, Id sell him another identical lathe. With a good gear.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Never_Enough_Tools

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

For $800, Id sell him another identical lathe. With a good gear.

Gunner

Somebody should point this out to the rapists at Clausing......

Jeff

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:39:12 -0400, "Never_Enough_Tools"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

For $800, Id sell him another identical lathe. With a good gear.

Gunner

Somebody should point this out to the rapists at Clausing......

Jeff

I dont think they have such in stock, but manufacture them as they are
ordered. Doing them one at a time reallllllly adds to the cost.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
gfulton

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

For $800, Id sell him another identical lathe. With a good gear.

Gunner

Somebody should point this out to the rapists at Clausing......

Jeff

I dont think they have such in stock, but manufacture them as they are
ordered. Doing them one at a time reallllllly adds to the cost.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

That's right. I've got a 5310 Clausing lathe that was made in 1956. I was
pleasantly surprised to see how many parts of it were still in stock with
the Clausing people. Yes, they're expensive. Big time. I also have made
attempts to try and find new old stock parts for a Panhead Harley that was
made in '56 too. Nearly nothing out there and what is available is marked
up at a much higher ratio than the Clausing parts. I'm just glad the
Clausing people are making an attempt to stay in business and help people
keep these fine old lathes running. I would imagine if they didn't charge
so much for them, they'd fold. Just my .02.

Garrett Fulton

Too_Many_Tools

Correct...they make the part as the requests come in.

If you ran the business, would you do it any differently?

As you pointed out, at least they are supporting it.

Have you tried to find a part for an older Asian lathe...good luck, you
will need it.

Actually this brings up a subject that I seldom see addressed. As more
and more of our manufacturing goes elsewhere, the subject of supporting
our manufacturing infrastructure as it gets older and wears out is
going to get very interesting and expensive. We see in the manual
machines that HSMers try to support by parting out old machines...well,
there are just so many old machines and many of them are being shipped
to China as scrap to be melted down. No company wants to carry parts
inventory and many parts are such that they cannot be made one at a
time.

I think it will accelerate the decline of our ability to build
anything.

TMT

Mike Henry

wrote:

[...]

IME, a lot of the common wear parts are actually pretty reasonable from
Clausing, but maybe that's because they sell enough of them to keep the cost
down while still making a decent profit. They're manual proces are also
pretty reasonable (=$25) and they will sometimes sell blueprints for parts
that are no longer made.

Mike

Roger Shoaf

I think I would see if I could have got a stock gear that was a little
thicker and had a smaller hole but had the correct diameter and pitch.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

[...]

F. George McDuffee

snip
Fortunately, my buddy makes gears, so this wasn't the biggest deal in the
world--he could make 40 for $800!

snip
In case anyone wants to try it, I suggest the book "gears and
gear cutting" by ivan law. Good intro to involute and cycloid
gears both inch and metric as well as how to cut.

See:

This is the UK amazon.

You can buy in the US from Powells
see http://www.powells.com/ or you might try the US amazon.

also see http://www.alanstepney.info/page89.html item #17

I have had good luck using 6061 T6 aluminium and formica/micarta
for change gears. This appears to be very light duty/intermitant
use, esp. for the home shop machininst.