Gunner Asch

Default New Orleans may not come back.

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 19:45:56 -0700, Pope Secola VI
wrote:

Many of the big time financial analysts types are now saying that New
Orleans will not come back for at least a generation. Many of the
propertied class (both black and White) who are current refugees have
nothing to come back to. Many are now casting about for a new permanent
place to live and work out side of New Orleans.

Strangely enough the chamber of Commerce of Las Vegas Nevada has had
over 5000 inquiries from lawyers, doctors, CPA's, Engineers, licensed
plumbers, electricians and just plain people about the business
opportunities and the availability of work.

Similar inquiries have been fielded by the chambers of Commerce in
Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Arizona.

It is now expected that 20 to 30 percent of those who left New Orleans
will never come back.

This is causing a great worry among the political class as the people
who are leaving are the only ones who can really build a city.

Odd..I believe I stated this in a post yesterday, and was roundly poo
pooed by a couple optimists.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
North

wrote:

[...]

I wonder what "Andrew Jackson" would have to say about the rebuilding of New
Orleans ??

n.

Howard

My wife's grandmother was 12 years old at the time of the big
earthquake in San Fransisco. I remember when she walked our two sons
through Golden Gate Park and showed them the tree she slept under for a
week. She also described going back to Winnipeg Canada for a year with
her mother, while her father stayed in SF to rebuild. Hope that the
City and State are straight with people and they understand that they
are going to be uprooted for a long while.

Too_Many_Tools

New Orleans will never be the same...no one will spend the money to
rebuild it the way it was.

TMT

Bugs

It is truly an American tragedy but I think it would be a mistake to
rebuild that cesspool. The recent news has shown what varieties of rats
breed in that environment. Any huge concentration of people breeds a
criminal underworld that is easily triggered into anarchy. Any large
city in the world can provide grim examples.
Far better a distribution of smaller communities that can better absorb
the impact of major storms if they still insist on living at the edge
of disaster.
Bugs

Too_Many_Tools

This country has yet to anticipate the far ranging effects of this
forced migration...the nearest comparsion I can think of is the Great
Depression where you saw the migration from the rural areas to the
coasts and especially CA.

The impact on the labor market is yet to be felt and dealt with. The
tight job market just got tighter. The greatest need for the relocated
people is an income and for many there will not be one for a long time.
Their creditors will not wait that long.

The relocation of the poor and low skilled within this country will be
raising issues for decades which you may personally face when they move
in across the street from you.

TMT

Spehro Pefhany

On 3 Sep 2005 06:02:38 -0700, the renowned "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

This country has yet to anticipate the far ranging effects of this
forced migration...the nearest comparsion I can think of is the Great
Depression where you saw the migration from the rural areas to the
coasts and especially CA.

The impact on the labor market is yet to be felt and dealt with. The
tight job market just got tighter. The greatest need for the relocated
people is an income and for many there will not be one for a long time.
Their creditors will not wait that long.

The relocation of the poor and low skilled within this country will be
raising issues for decades which you may personally face when they move
in across the street from you.

TMT

This book might be relevant-- I just ordered a copy from B&N:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...57642?v=glance

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Abrasha

Gunner Asch wrote:

Odd..I believe I stated this in a post yesterday, and was roundly poo
pooed by a couple optimists.

Gunner

Being a terrible pessimist myself (I prefer to call myself a realist),
my wife gave me several pads of yellow stickies some time ago which have
the perfect definition of an optimist printed on them:

"An optimist is a person who hasn't been given all the facts yet."

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 06:43:03 -0400, "North"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Im sure he would have been all for the private sector rebuilding it
and paying for it themselves. As it should be.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Offbreed

Howard wrote:
Hope that the
City and State are straight with people and they understand that they
are going to be uprooted for a long while.

I expect we will hear bitching and moaning about how long it is taking
to rebuild, uhm, 6 weeks from the day the levee breeched.
ff

Bugs wrote:

It is truly an American tragedy but I think it would be a mistake to
rebuild that cesspool. The recent news has shown what varieties of rats
breed in that environment. Any huge concentration of people breeds a
criminal underworld that is easily triggered into anarchy. Any large
city in the world can provide grim examples.
Far better a distribution of smaller communities that can better absorb
the impact of major storms if they still insist on living at the edge
of disaster.
Bugs

Yeh, let's spend the money rebuilding Bagdad instead.

Let's see, New Orleans asked for $78 million to rebuild and upgrade
their levee system.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20...dleveeprojects

BushCo. gave them $30 million instead, meanwhile spending $190
BILLION+ ( and counting)

http://costofwar.com/

to bomb the f_ck out of Iraq and then try to rebuild it while still
being shot at.

Makes sense.
Too_Many_Tools

FYI...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050905/...n_dc&printer=1

Katrina could prompt new black "great migration" By Adam Tanner Mon Sep
5, 3:21 PM ET

If refugees end up building new lives away from New Orleans, Hurricane
Katrina may prompt the largest U.S. black resettlement since the 20th
century's Great Migration lured southern blacks to the North in a
search for jobs and better lives.

Interviews with refugees in Houston, which is expecting many thousands
of evacuees to remain, suggest that thousands of blacks who lost
everything and had no insurance will end up living in Texas or other
U.S. states.

Officials say it will take many months and maybe even years before the
birthplace of jazz is rebuilt.

"We advise people that this city has been destroyed," New Orleans
Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley told reporters on Monday. "We are
simply asking people not to come back to this city right now."

Many evacuees like Percy Molere, 26, who worked in a hotel in New
Orleans' famed French quarter, say they cannot keep their lives on hold
for very long.

"If it took a month, I'd go back, but a year, I don't want to wait that
long," said Molere. "Hopefully we're going to stay in Houston just to
stay out of New Orleans" for the time being.

Experts caution that it is too soon to clearly predict the long-term
impact of the devastation of New Orleans, a city of less than half a
million people more than two-thirds of whom are black. But one scenario
would be massive resettlement elsewhere.

"You've got 300,000, 400,000 people, many of them low income without a
lot of means, who are not going to have the ability to wait out a year
or two or three years for the region to rebuild," said Barack Obama,
the only black member of the U.S. Senate.

"They are going to have to find immediate work, immediate housing,
immediately get their kids into school and that probably will change
the demographics of the region," he told Reuters on Monday during a
visit to Houston, the largest single gathering point for the refugees.

Because of the legacy of slavery, southern states including Louisiana,
Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina have
historically been home to the greatest concentration of U.S. blacks. In
1900, 85 percent of U.S. blacks lived in the South and as early as
1830, more than 58 percent of Louisiana's population was black.

Between 1940 and 1970 economic changes prompted 5 million blacks to
quit the south for cities across the North including Chicago, Detroit
and New York, marking one of the nation's largest internal migrations.

"It could have potentially that kind of effect," said Obama, whose
father immigrated from Kenya.

MIGRATION TRENDS

New Orleans did not always follow the trend. Historically, far fewer
residents have moved from New Orleans than from most American cities,
despite its high poverty and crime rates.

Nicholas Lemann, author of "The Promised Land: The Great Black
Migration and How it Changed America," was wary of predicting that
Katrina would prompt major resettlement.

"It is kind of early to tell," he said.

But he said as officials elsewhere accommodate large numbers of blacks,
they should avoid putting them in confined areas as Chicago did in the
past, which created new urban woes. "They should think carefully on how
to avoid the sort of ghetto phenomenon," he said.

Part of the migration trend will be set by what federal, state and
local agencies do to help refugees rebuild their lives.

"What I do think should be focused on now is what is the Congress is
going to do when they get back," former President Bill Clinton said in
Houston on Monday. "How are we going to find jobs for these people,
where are they really going to live, do they need some cash right
away?"

"They feel lost."

Dick

Great! I agree 100%.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at