chaz

Default Photographs of metal items look rusty

"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message
.. .
I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Have you tried taking the photo outdoors in natural sunlight?

And why are your eyes naked?

chaz

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:31:33 -0400, chaz wrote:

"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message
.. .
I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Have you tried taking the photo outdoors in natural sunlight?

I will try that, but I must say that I often need to take photographs
in the evening. I also bought some evapo-rust, and hope that I could
remove rust from items easily to make them look better.

What are you selling?

chaz

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:35:46 -0400, chaz wrote:

"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:31:33 -0400, chaz wrote:

"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message
.. .
I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Have you tried taking the photo outdoors in natural sunlight?

I will try that, but I must say that I often need to take photographs
in the evening. I also bought some evapo-rust, and hope that I could
remove rust from items easily to make them look better.

What are you selling?

Right now, I need to sell 21 Signode steel banding tensioners. 3/4"
and 1.25" banding. They seem to be fine and look OK to the "naked
eye", but turn out rusty on photos. Photographs do them a big
disservice. If I can dip them in evaporust and remove visible rust
(which is very superficial), that would help me get better prices for
them.

A light scrubbing with a brillo pad also does wonders.

chaz

Jim Stewart

chaz wrote:
"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:35:46 -0400, chaz wrote:

"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message
m...

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:31:33 -0400, chaz wrote:

"Ignoramus12789" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Another thing you might try is going over
them with an oily rag.

Nick Müller

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

I would check white balance and remove some red in PhotoShop.
Or even make them b&w :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Don Lancaster

Ignoramus12789 wrote:
I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Back off on the red.

Or redo major surfaces.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Don Lancaster

Ignoramus12789 wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:01:23 -0700, Don Lancaster wrote:

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Back off on the red.

Or redo major surfaces.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

thanks Don... I will check it out...

See
http://cgi.ebay.com/Staplex-TF1A-Air-Sampler-As-New-110v_W0QQitemZ7541747736QQcategoryZ78216QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

for a "rust corrected" image.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Bob AZ

When I have that problem it is always the lighting.
So I use the kitchen table in the afternoon when the light is not
direct from the outside. I also use the flash everytime.
Most digital cameras now correct the lighting/exposure so it looks like
the lighting is daylight. If not then the software will do it.
Perhaps your digital camera is not set to correct for lighting.
Finally take a lot of pictures until you get it right.
Remember also that there are colors that are obtrusive and some that
are not. Use a darker shade of blue for a background.

Kurt

In article ,
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

This is *EXACTLY* why it's totally and utterly foolish to use any other
camera than a Nikon D2x for your eBay pics.

Seriously, stop using the flash if you are using it. Next is to get some
halogen flood lamps and and some (white) not clear fluorescent light
diffusers and build several diffused lights and experiment with different
angles. What you are seeing *IS* the rust that is really there. It just
shows up better under different lighting conditions.

....you forgot to also tear out the kitchen ceiling to install a large
softbox.

Actually, I have great success with an EZ Cube. www.ezcube.com
Easy to set up, and stores the size of a small seat pad.

Kurt

In article ,
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

Thanks, Chaz, Rita, and Jim. I am sorry if I missed posts of other
persons, but I will try to respond to them as well.

I will try scrubbing and WD-40, but I must note that these tensioners
have very irregular surface and are therefore hard to scrub. A
chemical solution would be preferable, but I will give steel wool a
chance.

I was going to suggest steel wool and wd-40. I use that to keep the
bare-metal valve cover on my vintage car rust-free. Use it on the
generator, too.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

I know you'll hate me for suggesting this, but -- how about cleaning the
rust off? G

LLoyd

Artemia Salina

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:23:28 +0000, Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Not directly related to color correction is a cheap trick to produce
"bounce lighting" with the camera's flash. Take a piece of tinfoil
and tape it just under the flash "bulb" on the camera. Then bend the
foil so it acts as a reflector to direct the light up to the ceiling.
This causes the flash to bounce off of the ceiling and down onto the
subject, thereby producing more natural-looking lighting and reducing
glare off of shiny objects. If you don't have a ceiling to bounce the
light off of you can set up a white card above your subject to reflect
the light back down onto it. Because ceilings (or white paper cards)
usually have a flat finish they tend to diffuse the light and soften
shadows somewhat as well.
Eric R Snow

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:23:28 GMT, Ignoramus12789
wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Along with the other suggestions try changing the white balance. I
have a Pentax camera and was able to get better pictures by setting
the white balance manually. But don't ask me what to set your white
balance with. I just used various backgrounds in my shop until the
pictures looked correct with the shop lighting. The manual says to
point the camera at a white sheet of paper to set the white balance
but I ended up using a light grey wall to get the pictures to look
right.
ERS
Don Lancaster

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

Back off on the red.

Or redo major surfaces.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

thanks Don... I will check it out...

See
http://cgi.ebay.com/Staplex-TF1A-Air-Sampler-As-New-110v_W0QQitemZ7541747736QQcategoryZ78216QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

for a "rust corrected" image.

Very nice result, all rust seems to be corrected away. A very fine
example of a "rust corrected", "As New" item. So, did you just
reduce the red component in the image? Did that "do it" for you?

quite impressed

Actually, I ADDED rust to this particular item!

It turned out that the wall behind the photo was brown and reflected in
the top of the ultra shiny stainless rear ring. The bottom reflected
blue-steel and the transition looked ungainly and awful.

So the top "rust" was drug down into its own bottom.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

For an example of where bunches of rust were really removed, see
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rexnord-Stearns-Spring-Set-Electric-Disk-Brake_W0QQitemZ7534896436QQcategoryZ26227QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

In this case, fifteen of the sixteen items were still sealed in original
mil packaging and are presumed mint. The open one was rusted pretty
badly on its exterior.

Cosmetics are not usually a pressing issue on this particular item.
Either it works or it does not. And it is much easier to clean the image
rather than the item. No point is cleaning anything till it is sold.

This image did perhaps did wander a little too far off into the
caricature realm.

But somebody did just air overnight one of these at FIVE times shipping
costs. Haven't heard back for two weeks, so I presume they are happy.

The collectible market does not appear either well established or
mainstream on this item.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Don Lancaster

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

I know you'll hate me for suggesting this, but -- how about cleaning the
rust off? G

LLoyd

It is much easier to clean the rust off the photo than the object.

No point in spending time and effort on anything until it is sold.

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/ebaysell.pdf

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com

Don Lancaster

wrote:

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Don, you might consider fixing the typo in the first sentence of your
page.

"I've gathered together most or our surplus... "

All of your most ors are belong to us.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Nick Müller

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

This is *EXACTLY* why it's totally and utterly foolish to use any
other camera than a Nikon D2x for your eBay pics.

What, does it remove rust?

Yes, Nikons are only good for hammering rust.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Don Lancaster

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

Very impressive edits. I will explore various scripting solutions
here. I have a "derust" script already, to use imagemagick.

It's totally and utterly foolish to take less than two hour in
postproduction time per item. If your script does it any faster you are
violating all rules of common sense for eBay pics.

Rita

By jove, I think she has finally got it!

Spending proper time in picture post proc can easily TRIPLE your eBay
return. Especially on multiple and higher priced items.

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/ebaysell.pdf

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Kurt

In article ,
Don Lancaster wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

I know you'll hate me for suggesting this, but -- how about cleaning the
rust off? G

LLoyd

It is much easier to clean the rust off the photo than the object.

No point in spending time and effort on anything until it is sold.

Of course, no buyer will complain that the item condition doesn't match
the photo...

Ken Davey

"Nick Müller" wrote:
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

This is *EXACTLY* why it's totally and utterly foolish to use any
other camera than a Nikon D2x for your eBay pics.

What, does it remove rust?

Yes, Nikons are only good for hammering rust.

Nick

Ayup! Canon rules! (ducking and running).

Try this Iggy
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Ken.

Tina

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

This is *EXACTLY* why it's totally and utterly foolish to use any other
camera than a Nikon D2x for your eBay pics.

Seriously, stop using the flash if you are using it. Next is to get some
halogen flood lamps and and some (white) not clear fluorescent light
diffusers and build several diffused lights and experiment with different
angles. What you are seeing *IS* the rust that is really there. It just
shows up better under different lighting conditions.

Rita

Not everyone can afford that kind of camera...me included...so when do

your photography lessons start at your house? I'm starting mine next month
;-)

Tina

Don Lancaster

Kurt wrote:
In article ,
Don Lancaster wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Ignoramus12789 wrote:

I noticed that many bare metal items that I photograph with my Fuji
digital camera, look rustier on photos than they do in "real life". I
would like to correct it so that the photos show exactly as much rust
as would be seen by a naked eye. Any thoughts on this? Should Ichange
lighting, or something else? Thanks

I know you'll hate me for suggesting this, but -- how about cleaning the
rust off? G

LLoyd

It is much easier to clean the rust off the photo than the object.

No point in spending time and effort on anything until it is sold.

Of course, no buyer will complain that the item condition doesn't match
the photo...

Since the condition of what we ship nearly always EXCEEDS that of the
photo, you are normally correct.

But we did get negged once for shipping an improved, later, better
performing model of a Tektronix plugin. One that even Tek retained the
same part number on.

Photos tend to emphasize defects and add artifacts. Most of photo
enhancement should consist of removing emphasis and artifacts.

Typically, most of our postprep is involved with distortion correction,
shadow removal, lettering enhancement, and background clarification.

http://www.tinaja.com/auct01.asp for numerous tutorials.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&user id=abeja&sort=3&rows=100&since=-1&rd=1
for many examples of our eBay photos.

Plain and simple, we have the finest photos and images on eBay, bar
none. They consistently pay for themselves many times over.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Nick Müller

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

but -- how about cleaning the rust off? G

Before doing that, it might be worth the efford to remove the rust of
his camera's hole-lens.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
daniel peterman

I had a few surface rust things that were bugging me so I bought a 3
liter jug of Shasta Diet Cola at the 99cent store and soaked them in
that. Third ingredient in the stuff is phosphoric acid and its not
sticky. took the rust down quite well.
spray with WD40.

Kurt

Don Lancaster wrote:

Plain and simple, we have the finest photos and images on eBay, bar
none. They consistently pay for themselves many times over.

Not using a Nikon D2x to take your eBay pictures is doing your customers a
great disservice and is misrepresenting the item. Plus, post-processing
time eats up any minimally perceived benefits you're fooling yourself into
thinking you have. Scrap the crap, Don, and get the D2x and your customers
will love you.

Heck, My Nikon 5700 does all that...

Christopher Tidy

Nick Müller wrote:
Ignoramus12789 wrote:

This is *EXACTLY* why it's totally and utterly foolish to use any
other camera than a Nikon D2x for your eBay pics.

What, does it remove rust?

Yes, Nikons are only good for hammering rust.

A bit harsh. Old Nikons were the best. Some of the newer ones aren't so
good, though. I think they really cheaped out on the lower end film
cameras in recent years.

By the way, I think a film camera emphasises rust less, but of course
you don't want to take pictures for eBay on film.

Chris

Tina

Tina wrote:

Not everyone can afford that kind of camera...me included...so when
do

your photography lessons start at your house? I'm starting mine next
month ;-)

You gave me a brainstorm! I think I will have to start a local eBay
University and milk this cash cow. All students must use a Nikon D2x for
eBay pictures since it's totally and utterly foolish to do otherwise. I

can
see this one going over well.

Rita

ya know Rita...that's not a half baked idea...the students can pay for the
classes with paypal and you can teach via...internet video .. some kind of
internet technology what ever is the latest and greatest is, so there's no
driveing involved...now that's an idea..I betcha people would sign up
too...damn I'm just to smart for my own britches

Tina

Tina

Tina wrote:

ya know Rita...that's not a half baked idea...the students can pay
for the classes with paypal and you can teach via...internet video ..
some kind of internet technology what ever is the latest and greatest
is, so there's no driveing involved...now that's an idea..I betcha
people would sign up too...damn I'm just to smart for my own britches

I guess it could work. Seriously, I feel things like this are best

offered
to people for free. My preference is to be neighborly and give people the
tools to help themselves. Plus, there are too many people charging for
books, videos, and seminars that aren't worth a ****. I would never want

have my name associated with any of that ilk.

Rita

I'll agree with that seniero....hell I still have a lot to learn in

photography...but every once in a while I get lucky and the light is just
perfect!

Tina

Kurt

Tina wrote:

[...]

....or in my case, the light just being turned on.

Chips

Most hardware stores will sell a liquid or gel rust remover. They usually
contain phosphoric acid. What that does is turn "rust" (FeO2) into FeO,
which is black instead of reddish. It also gets rid of most of it.

It's usually easy to wipe it on and wipe off.

GC