Scott Bryceland

Default Grant Erwin - Jacobs E Taper

Hey Grant, you'd posted back in '97 about finding a Jacobs 6A-E chuck
and maybe cutting an E taper to fit it. I've just come across one as
well (in Vancouver). You wouldn't happen to have the measurements on
said taper would you? Machinery's Handbook (20th) doesn't aknowledge
the existence of a Jacobs E. I wonder how old this chuck could be...
looks brand new.

Or anyone else? I seek measurements for a Jacobs E taper...

The taper looks similar to a 3JT, but I don't have a 3JT arbor kicking
around to try in it. It wouldn't happen to be a strangely named Jacobs
3, would it?

-Scott
Grant Erwin

Scott Bryceland wrote:
Hey Grant, you'd posted back in '97 about finding a Jacobs 6A-E chuck
and maybe cutting an E taper to fit it. I've just come across one as
well (in Vancouver). You wouldn't happen to have the measurements on
said taper would you? Machinery's Handbook (20th) doesn't aknowledge
the existence of a Jacobs E. I wonder how old this chuck could be...
looks brand new.

Or anyone else? I seek measurements for a Jacobs E taper...

The taper looks similar to a 3JT, but I don't have a 3JT arbor kicking
around to try in it. It wouldn't happen to be a strangely named Jacobs
3, would it?

What I had was a lousy fax from Jacobs. Call Jacobs and ask for their service
department, ask them to send you the E taper spec. I had it, but you know how
paper is, if you don't stay on top of it pretty soon you have a bunch of filing
cabinets. I believe I tossed that. The chuck went long ago, don't remember
where, don't care much.

GWE
Scott Bryceland

Grant Erwin wrote:
What I had was a lousy fax from Jacobs. Call Jacobs and ask for
their service department, ask them to send you the E taper spec. I
had it, but you know how paper is, if you don't stay on top of it
pretty soon you have a bunch of filing cabinets. I believe I
tossed that. The chuck went long ago, don't remember where, don't
care much.

Thanks. I'll do that.

-Scott
Scott Bryceland

For future reference, if anyone else runs into this

Jacobs E Taper
large diameter: 0.7886
taper: 0.624/foot