Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bob Paulin

Default Gloat???

Would it be considered a gloat if I were to mention that I just picked up a
Sanford benchtop surface grinder for $150.00? Or would you all believe
that I am simply sharing my happiness in such a find?

It is the small one intended for a four or five-inch wheel, but it came
with a six-inch wheel attached, and it will fit a seven inside the shield,
but I think it will probably operate a little better with four-inch wheels
- of which I have a few.

Everything seems quite tight except for the table-travel wheel which has a
lot of play - but, I understand that this is common on pretty much all
manually fed surface grinders. The table doesn't seem to have any play in
the V-groove, though.

I saw a drill press, a six-inch Atlas lathe (already sold) and a H/V
bandsaw that all came out of the same shop, and they all looked like they
were well cared for, as does this grinder.

I actually stumbled over it at a used tool place - Liberty (Maine) Tools
aka "Tacky Harry's" - which I frequent that is not too far from my shop.
They were asking $185, but he took $20 off when I said he could keep the
table ( a really low bench that would have probably required sitting down
to use the grinder), plus I get a ten percent discount as a "frequent
flyer" at this shop - bringing my total down to $148.50.

I did a Dogpile search and found a similar one on the 'net with an asking
price of $750.

Sound like I did okay?

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Chassis Analysis Services