Waynemak

Default how much heat will bakelight take (I know spelled wrong)

How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small
engine exaust, it would be about 3/8 away with good air flow.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Waynemak" wrote in message
How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small
engine exaust, it would be about 3/8 away with good air flow.

I had a similar problem with my old Toyota fork truck. The battery had
been moved near the exhaust pipe when it was converted to propane, so it
used to boil the electrolyte. I used 16 gauge steel to build a shroud
between the exhaust manifold and the battery, which appears to work
beautifully. The battery runs quite cool now.

You might consider a simple metal deflector instead. Bakelite may, or may
not, stand up to the abuse and heat.

Harold

Richard J Kinch

Waynemak writes:

How much heat will bake a light take?

It will take an unlimited amount of heat. You must mean temperature.

Continuous temperature for maximum resistance depends on the filler, from
300 (wood flour) to 375 (fiberglass) deg F. Loss of strength begins at 340
to 475 deg F likewise. (_Engineering Polymer Sourcebook_, R B Seymour.)
Joe AutoDrill

How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small
engine exaust, it would be about 3/8 away with good air flow.

It will generally take just a bit less than you need and fall apart when you
need it most. grin

Seriously though, I'm sure there is a web site out there somewhere that has
data on this... Just don't know what it is yet!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

jim rozen

In article , Waynemak says...

How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small
engine exaust, it would be about 3/8 away with good air flow.

That's probably a bad application for bakelite, or any of the other
similar materials like phenolic, or micarta.

I would use sheet metal instead, use two layers and sandwich
some plain fiberglass insulation between them.

Bakelite was invented by Leo Bakeland in 1903, and was the *first*
engineering polymer ever developed.

Jim

please reply to:
mlcorson

Use some foil "sandwich" material that is used on modern vehicles as
heat sheilds. Usually under the car body where the exhaust comes close
to the body or even the hood and fire wall. A client of mine makes this
product. I would go to an auto junk yard and find a piece...would that
work?
-M

Brian Lawson

Hey Wayne,

How big a piece of material are you looking for. I've got some 1'4"
thick "arc-shield" stuff from really large contactors that looks like
really hard asbestos (no "loose fibres" that might do fine. It is
NOT bendable.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:02:40 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small
engine exaust, it would be about 3/8 away with good air flow.

williamhenry

show off