Ron Hubbard

Default How Slim Can It Go?

Does anybody know how much you can bore out a 1" dia. 6061 aluminum rod before it
loses it's structural integrity
and either bends or breaks?.

Ron

--
"Everybody has a secret except for me and my monkey."

RoyJ

Compared to what? For a first approximation on thin wall tube, your
strength is a linear function of the wall thickness. Half the wall, half
the strength. My guess is that you will run into a thin spot that
crumples rather than a standard bending failure. Of course a standard
aluminum can is only .003" wall, it can stand a lot of end pressure
before it collapses catastrophically.

Ron Hubbard wrote:
Does anybody know how much you can bore out a 1" dia. 6061 aluminum rod before it
loses it's structural integrity
and either bends or breaks?.

Ron

--
"Everybody has a secret except for me and my monkey."

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Does anybody know how much you can bore out a 1" dia. 6061 aluminum rod
before it
loses it's structural integrity
and either bends or breaks?.

Ron, since you can readily obtain 1"o.d. aluminum tubing in 0.015" wall
thickness, it stands to reason that with careful centering and light cuts,
you could go down to 0.005" or so. You'd have to bolster the chucked end,
and you wouldn't be able to work with much overhang.

LLoyd

Glenn Ashmore

It all depends on what load you are going to apply to it. In pure numbers
the Moment of inertia of a 1" solid rod is .0490874.
A tube with a .5" ID it is .0460194 so you don't loose a lot.
For a .75"ID it is .0335558 so you loose about a third
For a .875" ID it is down to .0203133 so it is less than half as stiff.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Does anybody know how much you can bore out a 1" dia. 6061 aluminum rod
before it
loses it's structural integrity
and either bends or breaks?.

Ron

--
"Everybody has a secret except for me and my monkey."

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Does anybody know how much you can bore out a 1" dia. 6061 aluminum rod
before it
loses it's structural integrity
and either bends or breaks?.

Ron, since you can readily obtain 1"o.d. aluminum tubing in 0.015" wall
thickness, it stands to reason that with careful centering and light cuts,
you could go down to 0.005" or so. You'd have to bolster the chucked end,
and you wouldn't be able to work with much overhang.

You would pretty much have to put the 1"OD tubing inside a 1" ID pipe to
do the machining.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

You could bore the wall pretty thin if you held it in a 5C collet. The
other end would need support, such as a wrapping of tape, to make it
fit the collet closer tube.

jw