R.H.

Default What is it? LXXIV

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

William Wixon

too bad there isn't a way for the responses to be kept secret till the
answers are revealed and then all the responses revealed all at once.

my guesses...

424. clock weight
425. wagon wheel jack
426. slate shingle hammer
427. no idea
428. thermometer
429. some kind of cheese processing tool

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Howard Garner

R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

429 Grain Sampler
Bruce Bowler

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:45:53 +0000, R.H. put fingers to keyboard and said:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

426 - Slate hammer? (used by roofers who use slate)
427 - can opener?

Bruce
George Weinberg

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:45:53 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

428. Thermometer.

GLM

"R.H." wrote in news:RmDKe.58854$zY4.31777
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

423 - Sash weight

Gary
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

424) My guess is that this is a weight for a complex set of ropes
used as curtain pulls. Perhaps it is even bolted to the wall by
the two screw holes.

Hmm ... perhaps for multiple flag lines?

If it were not for the central pulley, I would think that it is
designed to slide along a rope, and be pulled back and forth by
another rope looped around pulleys at the ends, and attached to
the screw holes in the bottom corners.

425) It looks as though it can be used either to clamp something
between the two bars, or to separate them (as it is currently
configured.

Presumably a pin can be removed to shift the lever to the upper
set of curves for the clamping function.

426) Interesting hammer -- missing the wood handle.

My first guess was as a geologist's hammer, until I saw the claw
on the side.

Perhaps it is for disassembling crates?

427) No real guess on this one.

428) This one, however, is obviously a thermometer -- with both
Fahrenheit and Celsius scales.

429) I presume that there are also partitions between the cavities
exposed by twisting the head.

I think that this is for sampling something, grain perhaps, at
various depths in a pile. You close the ports, shove it it,
rotate it to open and allow in samples, rotate it again to
close, and withdraw.

There is probably a setup with equally-spaced containers to
receive all samples at the same time, prior to examination by
whatever means -- microscope, bare eyes, moisture tester,
whatever.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Duane Bozarth

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
429) I presume that there are also partitions between the cavities
exposed by twisting the head.

I think that this is for sampling something, grain perhaps, at
various depths in a pile. You close the ports, shove it it,
rotate it to open and allow in samples, rotate it again to
close, and withdraw.

There is probably a setup with equally-spaced containers to
receive all samples at the same time, prior to examination by
whatever means -- microscope, bare eyes, moisture tester,
whatever.

You got's it...grain sampler (or other dry material also possible). W/
grain samples anyway, the sub-samples are mixed before weight/moisture
testing.
axolotl

R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

425. Wagon Jack
426. Slating Hammer
427. Horse Hoof Cleaner
418. Transfer Punch
422. Geomancer's compass, used to maximize the chi in the shop.
423. Old Shears

Trish

" In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

424) I'd guess it the thing on a clotheline that helps keep the lines
from separating too much when wet clothes are put out to dry.

426) pick hammer - maybe used for nails in concrete?

427) a tool used for mending fishing nets?

429) a device used to collect soil samples?

John

426. Slater's tool, also called a zax.

427. Timber scribe, or race/raise knife.

John Martin

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

424: It's an angel. Possibly also a clothespin.

426: Hammer for use in survival kit

427: Tool with extra bit welded on.

428: Thermometer

429: Soil depth gauge

result in a fully-depreciated one.
R.H.

Five of the six have been identified:

424. No correct answers yet. Although most people probably have never used
one, this eagle shaped item is employed in a common recreational actvivity.

425. Horse drawn carriage jack, answered in r.c.m. but not posted to the
other groups

426. Slater's hammer

427. Race knife

428. Thermometer

429. Grain probe

More photos, explanations and a link can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan77tg.blogspot.com/

I'll answer yes and no questions if anyone wants to guess on 424.

Rob

bridger

R.H. wrote:

424. No correct answers yet. Although most people probably have never used
one, this eagle shaped item is employed in a common recreational actvivity.

I'll answer yes and no questions if anyone wants to guess on 424.

Rob

has 424 something to do with boats?

R.H.

"Forest Duck" wrote in message
..
..
sailing pullies for the rope that goes to the sail??

It's not used for sailing.

Rob

R.H.

has 424 something to do with boats?

I'm tempted to answer no, but a more accurate response would be yes but
indirectly.

Rob

bridger

R.H. wrote:
has 424 something to do with boats?

I'm tempted to answer no, but a more accurate response would be yes but
indirectly.

Rob

is it for tensioning and avoiding tangles of ropes?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been identified:

427. Race knife

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race?
Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else?
What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

has 424 something to do with boats?

I'm tempted to answer no, but a more accurate response would be yes but
indirectly.

Perhaps for controlling various signal flags at the committee
boat at the end of a sailing race course?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been identified:

427. Race knife

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race?
Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else?
What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I think the name Race is not meant to infer any particular type of racing,
but is probably just a name, possibly of the inventor. According to this
site the knife was used in shipbuilding:

http://race.knife.dict.butilki4you.net/

Rob

R.H.

"bridger" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
has 424 something to do with boats?

I'm tempted to answer no, but a more accurate response would be yes but
indirectly.

Rob

is it for tensioning and avoiding tangles of ropes?

No, it's not for ropes.

R.H.

R.H. wrote:

has 424 something to do with boats?

I'm tempted to answer no, but a more accurate response would be yes but
indirectly.

Perhaps for controlling various signal flags at the committee
boat at the end of a sailing race course?

Enjoy,
DoN.

It's not for any type of flags.

Rob

Duane Bozarth

R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been identified:

427. Race knife

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race?
Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else?
What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I think the name Race is not meant to infer any particular type of racing,
but is probably just a name, possibly of the inventor. According to this
site the knife was used in shipbuilding:

http://race.knife.dict.butilki4you.net/

Rob

More than likely the "race" is a context like a bearing race or
similar--I don't know enough about boat-building to put in a teacup,
but...
D Murphy

"R.H." wrote in
:

424. No correct answers yet. Although most people probably have never
used one, this eagle shaped item is employed in a common recreational
actvivity.

Is it some sort of fishing net weight or downrigger weight?

--

Dan

R.H.

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in
:

424. No correct answers yet. Although most people probably have never
used one, this eagle shaped item is employed in a common recreational
actvivity.

Is it some sort of fishing net weight or downrigger weight?

I guess this is close enough to call correct, it's a fisherman's trolley
weight. It was designed to travel up and down the fishing line (controlled
by a second attached line) to change the depth of baited hooks.

Rob

R.H.

"Forest Duck" wrote in message
something for a hot air baloon??

This one is not for balloons.

Rob

John Martin

DoN. Nichols wrote:
427. Race knife

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race?
Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else?
What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Marking heavy timbers with letters or numbers, typically used by
boatbuilders and timberframers.

Ever notice that old barn frames were usually marked with Roman rather
than Arabic numerals? One reason is that, until you get to C or D -
whivch is a hell of a lot of joints - the Roman numerals are all
straight lines. Much easier to cut with a chisel or gouge.

The race knife makes the curves easier, using the pivot and the end
cutter. The side cutter is good for straight lines.

John Martin

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
John Martin wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
427. Race knife

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race?
Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else?
What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Marking heavy timbers with letters or numbers, typically used by
boatbuilders and timberframers.

Ever notice that old barn frames were usually marked with Roman rather
than Arabic numerals? One reason is that, until you get to C or D -
whivch is a hell of a lot of joints - the Roman numerals are all
straight lines. Much easier to cut with a chisel or gouge.

The race knife makes the curves easier, using the pivot and the end
cutter. The side cutter is good for straight lines.

Thank you! This makes the use clear. I always want to know
how a tool is used, on the off chance that I might have a use for it.

Thanks again,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564