DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lathe vs milling machine (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/116500-lathe-vs-milling-machine.html)

[email protected] August 13th 05 01:09 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:13:39 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:39:35 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

(2) Boyer Shultz 6-18 surface grinders (anyone want a fixer upper?)

I could use a surface grinder project, but I suspect getting it to TX
would not be cost effective.

Pete C.

Road trip. And access to the Stacks of Stuff.

Texas to California is not very far, I have to drive the
equivalent of San Diego to El Paso just to get out of W Oz and
somewhere near New Orleans to get to Adelaide, the next state capital
city.
I would love to come visit, just the whole of Oz and a big ocean
in between. ( and an empty wallet ! )
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Pete C. August 13th 05 01:52 PM

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

(2) Boyer Shultz 6-18 surface grinders (anyone want a fixer upper?)

I could use a surface grinder project, but I suspect getting it to TX
would not be cost effective.

Pete C.

Road trip. And access to the Stacks of Stuff.

Texas to California is not very far, I have to drive the
equivalent of San Diego to El Paso just to get out of W Oz and
somewhere near New Orleans to get to Adelaide, the next state capital
city.
I would love to come visit, just the whole of Oz and a big ocean
in between. ( and an empty wallet ! )
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

The $800-$900 in gas and 3-4 days time for me to go RT to visit Gunner
would mean I'd have to get quite a few tools at really good prices to
make it cost effective. I did essentially the same trip in the other
direction last year (TX - CT - TX) and it's quite a haul (have to do it
again too).

Pete C.

Leon Fisk August 13th 05 02:17 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:26:48 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On 11 Aug 2005 15:20:35 -0700, wrote:

I bought one of these at an auction for $10 and had the hydraulics done
over for around $50.

http://www.wescomfg.com/hydstack.htm

Mine wont pump up, and when I help it, it bleeds off quickly. Did you
do it yourself or have it done?

Hi Gunner,

My Dad fixed one by using a small worm-gear hand winch and
by adding a wire pulley to the top where the chain pulley
is.

It isn't the fastest in the world and it wouldn't hold up in
everyday use, but it beats throwing ones back out :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Gunner August 13th 05 07:01 PM

wrote:

On 11 Aug 2005 15:20:35 -0700, wrote:

I bought one of these at an auction for $10 and had the hydraulics done
over for around $50.

http://www.wescomfg.com/hydstack.htm

Mine wont pump up, and when I help it, it bleeds off quickly. Did you
do it yourself or have it done?

Hi Gunner,

My Dad fixed one by using a small worm-gear hand winch and
by adding a wire pulley to the top where the chain pulley
is.

It isn't the fastest in the world and it wouldn't hold up in
everyday use, but it beats throwing ones back out :)

Interesting idea, but Id just as soon fix this one. Its out in the
Stacks of Stuff and Ive not been able to do much with it in the little
time Ive had.

Gunner

Bruce L. Bergman August 13th 05 08:50 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:23:08 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:
"Boris Beizer" wrote in message
link.net...

Considering all the tool bragging around here, I think it's all about
prosthetic devices.

Boris

Chuckle! Does sound like a "measuring" contest, doesn't it?

Harold

How does that go again? "In any bull****ting contest the first liar
up doesn't stand a chance." ;-)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

DoN. Nichols August 13th 05 10:40 PM

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 12 Aug 2005 19:58:20 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

[ ... ]

Dumore drill sharpener -- covers #70 through 1/4".

Nice!

Aha! Something which got your attention. :-)

[ ... ]

Jet? 6 wheel bandsaw (very small, will 6x6, when it doesnt throw the
blades...sigh.

*Six* wheel? I find that one difficult to imagine. :-)

(1) Pratt & Whitney (Cameron?) double headed 1/8" sensitive drill
press unit (two seperate sensitive drill presses on the same frame)
for sale

Hmm ... did P&W originally make the Cameron line? Or did they
re-brand something built from two Camerons?

No idea, but its really quite cute. Share a common cast iron table
about 6x10 or so.

Can you put up a photo on the dropbox? Direct e-mail of photos
will fail, because they will be above the trap size (30K) for potential
viruses.

I really like the single-column Cameron, and might be
interesteed in the double-column one for certain types of operations.
(Depending on cost, among other things.) At least, shipping should not
be a killer for that one.

[ ... ]

...lets not start on comparing tooling..there are bandwidth
issues.....

O.K. How about interesting measuring tools? :-)

In particular, a micrometer mated with a tiny sine bar for
measuring angles. (Other things, like the V-anvil ones are easier to
find.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Gunner August 13th 05 11:05 PM

On 13 Aug 2005 17:40:35 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 12 Aug 2005 19:58:20 -0400,
(DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I had to load it with a fork lift...so its probably P&W origin. They
loved cast iron....G

[ ... ]

...lets not start on comparing tooling..there are bandwidth
issues.....

O.K. How about interesting measuring tools? :-)

In particular, a micrometer mated with a tiny sine bar for
measuring angles. (Other things, like the V-anvil ones are easier to
find.)

OOOO...nice. I do need a simple tubing mic if you ever stumble
across a spare....

Enjoy,
DoN.

Gunner

DoN. Nichols August 13th 05 11:51 PM

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 13 Aug 2005 17:40:35 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[ ... ]

(1) Pratt & Whitney (Cameron?) double headed 1/8" sensitive drill
press unit (two seperate sensitive drill presses on the same frame)
for sale

Hmm ... did P&W originally make the Cameron line? Or did they
re-brand something built from two Camerons?

No idea, but its really quite cute. Share a common cast iron table
about 6x10 or so.

Can you put up a photo on the dropbox? Direct e-mail of photos
will fail, because they will be above the trap size (30K) for potential
viruses.

I really like the single-column Cameron, and might be
interested in the double-column one for certain types of operations.
(Depending on cost, among other things.) At least, shipping should not
be a killer for that one.

I had to load it with a fork lift...so its probably P&W origin. They
loved cast iron....G

Ouch! All of the metal castings on the Cameron (at least mine)
are aluminum. It might be that the deep throat version has a cast iron
baseplate.

[ ... ]

O.K. How about interesting measuring tools? :-)

In particular, a micrometer mated with a tiny sine bar for
measuring angles. (Other things, like the V-anvil ones are easier to
find.)

OOOO...nice. I do need a simple tubing mic if you ever stumble
across a spare....

I don't have one of my own, either. However, if you get a
multi-anvil micrometer (interchangeable flat and rod anvils), the rod
anvil will work quite well as a tubing micrometer. (It also works
nicely as a 0-1" height gauge, with the anvil removed entirely.)

My multi-anvil came without a flat anvil, but I so far have not
needed that.

Also, you can get one of the slip-on 0.250" balls in a collar
to measure the wall thickness of tubing -- at least in the 0-0.750"
range -- with one of those.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Harold and Susan Vordos August 14th 05 01:52 AM

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

Also, you can get one of the slip-on 0.250" balls in a collar
to measure the wall thickness of tubing -- at least in the 0-0.750"
range -- with one of those.

Yep, and it's more than adequate, particularly for those of us that have a
limited amount of money to spend. I've owned the attachment about as long
as I've been in the trade. Can't see tying up money on a tube mic when it
wouldn't get much use.

Harold

Martin H. Eastburn August 14th 05 03:52 AM

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

My dad - 85 he is - drove Phoenix to Ok to TX (my house) to Tenn, NC, to MASS, to Maine and
then reversed the trip. Had to visit family here there and around and friends
and naturally had not visited Maine so he and his brother did.

I hope to be in as good a shape at his age.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Harold and Susan Vordos August 14th 05 05:10 AM

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-----

Also, you can get one of the slip-on 0.250" balls in a collar
to measure the wall thickness of tubing -- at least in the 0-0.750"
range -- with one of those.

Yep, and it's more than adequate, particularly for those of us that have a
limited amount of money to spend. I've owned the attachment about as long
as I've been in the trade. Can't see tying up money on a tube mic when

it
wouldn't get much use.

Harold

I should have commented further. The balls sold by Starrett are not .250"
diameter, but .200". They do come in two different sized housings,
however, to accommodate different anvil sizes. The smaller ball (in lieu
of the .250" mentioned by DoN) give you a slightly larger range with a 1"
mic, .000" to .800", plus the cheat when you get over .800". The added bonus
is that the micrometer is direct reading, taking the .200" into account.

Harold

Leon Fisk August 16th 05 01:48 PM

wrote:

On 11 Aug 2005 15:20:35 -0700, wrote:

I bought one of these at an auction for $10 and had the hydraulics done
over for around $50.

http://www.wescomfg.com/hydstack.htm

Mine wont pump up, and when I help it, it bleeds off quickly. Did you
do it yourself or have it done?

Hi Gunner,

My Dad fixed one by using a small worm-gear hand winch and
by adding a wire pulley to the top where the chain pulley
is.

It isn't the fastest in the world and it wouldn't hold up in
everyday use, but it beats throwing ones back out :)

Interesting idea, but Id just as soon fix this one. Its out in the
Stacks of Stuff and Ive not been able to do much with it in the little
time Ive had.

Hi Gunner,

It is an easy fix and easily reversible. It will also free
up the bad parts (you can remove them) so they can be fixed
properly. You might even have a small worm-drive winch
laying about ;-)

Just make sure you use a worm-drive or something that has a
means to control and brake your lift/load.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Gunner August 16th 05 04:29 PM

wrote:

[...]

Actually I do have two worm drive winches, but they are pretty
big....10x10x8" or so...about 60lbs each.

But Id rather fix the hydraulics properly. But Ill certainly ponder
the idea at length.

Thanks.

Gunner