Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Repairing rough running 5 HP single phase motor

"Ignoramus6689" wrote in message
.. .
For $12.00, I bought a 5 HP, SINGLE PHASE Baldor compressor motor that
has a problem. When I spin it up by hand, it turns, but a little
roughly and then spins by itself, but not for very long. It stops too
soon. It is not, by any means, seized, but there is too much friction
compared to what it should be. I did not run it under power yet

It is ball bearing based, which I concluded after seeing grease
fittings on it.

My hope is that it should be an easy fix. Either the grease caked, or
perhaps the bearings need replacement. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

I did the same just a few months ago. I was bequeathed two complete(ly
broken) and water-damaged 5HP compressors. Both had Baldor motors. One
motor was well and thoroughly burnt out. The other was "grumbling" like
yours.

It's a little of a trick to get the motor apart and get the bearings out,
but no big deal. The hardest part will be to get the shaft end bearing off
the shaft, since it usually corrodes in place. Lots of oil and fine grit
paper are the trick to getting the shaft back to its original o.d. without
damage. You'll need a small gear puller to start the bearing moving on the
shaft. Then it should slide off easily.

The bearings are stock NGK items in my local bearing shop -- about $14.00
each.

Take care pressing them back into their seats -- they aren't tight fits, but
you should avoid any pressure on the inner race. Make a tool, if you aren't
lucky enough to have a bearing pressing mandrel that fits. A large wrench
socket that is no more than, say, 0.050" smaller than the o.d. of the outer
race will work well as a tool.

LLoyd